Mysterious infection on blue tang

Cloud_hopper777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help and some ideas what could be affecting my blue tang. Noticed he had what looked like black spots on his body, I did some Googling and came to the conclusion of black ich. I treated the DT with prazipro and after a week things still looked the same so I managed to get him out and into a QT. I managed to get a better look in the QT and I’m not so certain it’s Black ich now (see attached photos).
he was the bully of the tank but about 6 weeks ago or more I added a Kole tang that’s bigger than him, so he does get chased from time to time. He’s been eating both in the DT and QT and the water chemistry is normal.
The other fish in the DT don’t seem to be showing any of the same signs.
I’ve been advised by my local shop to run the QT at Hypo salinity and keep using prazipro but in the food?

FCF2DF64-5D7B-4B41-8E8D-D86A3B5BC225.jpeg F9CEA286-73BE-4140-98A3-EDCC97125381.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Those spots are too large to be black ich/turbellarians. They look like holes in the skin, possibly from injuries. They aren’t really in the right location, but they also resemble lesions from head and lateral line erosion.
Does the fish show any other symptoms?
Jay

OP
OP
C

Cloud_hopper777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Those spots are too large to be black ich/turbellarians. They look like holes in the skin, possibly from injuries. They aren’t really in the right location, but they also resemble lesions from head and lateral line erosion.
Jay
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Jay
Thanks for the response Jay,

Yeah when I google the photo HLLE comes up which sort of looks similar and doing some reading stress (from bullying) could be a factor. I was at my LFS today and picked up some API melafix just incase it’s bacterial. Other than the marks the fish is it’s usual self.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back