Mysterious Melting of Xenia... Or could it be stn/rtn?

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I received my second coral, a rock full of xenia, it was clear in a few days that 2 of the 3 corals were shrinking, or melting.
I read about it online, and many people seem to not understand why their xenia melts when they first get it.

From what I've read and experienced, it seems xenias can react harshly to transportation. The first xenia I received was dead on arrival. The second one, which I will reference here a lot, was fine and pumping when it arrived, but the package's water was somewhat hazy. After acclimation, I put the rock with 3 different xenia on it, in the tank. I didn't dip it at any point, because the LFS said the wholesaler hasn't given them any problems.

I assume my acclimation wasn't proper (40 minutes of drip acclimation) or the water parameters were wildly different (although salinity was very similar), because the xenia slowly stopped pumping. Days it took, and shrank 2 of them did, until one was covered with a brown coverage... I assume BJD. Here's a picture of that:
VID20220911173543_exported_15702.jpg

It is a bad picture, but I'm not adding it here for diagnosis. The other xenia that also shrank hasn't been affected by this. They are a few cm apart, both were so small that a centimeter feels like a meter.

The third one didn't shrink as drastically, only somewhat. From the very start, it acted somewhat different from the other two. They also looked somewhat different. I assume they were different species. This third one, however, hasn't pumped since the day it arrived. It does react to touch and movement though, retracting its polyps.
Now recently I saw its polyps start to slowly melt. I also saw some of its skin bubble and... Bleed? (video on this added below)

Now I'm kinda just making many assumptions here...
STN and RTN are told to affect mostly affect SPS corals. For them it's clear when their skin starts to drip off... But how would that appear on a soft coral? One without a skeleton? The theories on xenias melting seem to much rely on water parameters being wrong, but a specific cause between the cases of many aquarists is rarely found... Could the "melting" be the same as what SPS sometimes experience, AKA RTN/STN?

From what I've read on fish diseases, as well as STN/RTN, elevated stress is the primary cause of disease. This stress would be the drastic change of environment, especially with acclimation to a new tank after a long transport.

What do you guys think of this? Also what is that "bleeding" in the video I added?

My next course of action is to dip this last xenia that is alive, and test and perfect the environment it is in.

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, maybe i'm wrong, but this is not xenia....

Small screen, maybe i dont see good, but this is lot like kenya tree?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno, i watched and still this is kenya tree, not xenia, at least not that common pulsing weed xenia....

OP
OP
Kiophy

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno, i watched and still this is kenya tree, not xenia, at least not that common pulsing weed xenia....
It pumped before I added it (I can provide a video of this if needed). Its polyps have shrunk a bit as well.
And it was sold as "xenia spp.", I assume it is not xenia elongata nor xenia umbellata, but more like a silver xenia.
Still alive but seemingly suffering.

Water parameters:
8 dkH
pH around 8
NH3 under 0,03 mg/l
I'm getting more tests soon, but as of now, that's what I got.

Tank is cycled, around 3 months old. It has two blennies and two shrimps. Also a platygyra coral and a hitchhiker anemone (there's another thread on that) all doing well. The filter contains a filter medium that lowers phosphates and silicates.

Thank you for your answers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiophy

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to add, that I didn't specifically make the thread to help my own xenia. But for some reason, xenia melting, especially after transport, hasn't been linked to STN or RTN. Either way it's necrosis, eh? Skin disappears and a brown cover appears (at least in my case). So why is this phenomenon not linked to STN/RTN when talking about soft corals? Even when it's related to water parameters, it's still necrosis...?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not Xenia, Not Kenya tree either.

It's green so my vote goes for sinularia or nepthia spp.

Perhaps neither as I am looking at it again. Very small video.

OP
OP
Kiophy

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Xenia, Not Kenya tree either.

It's green so my vote goes for sinularia or nepthia spp.
I didn't watch the video good catch. Look like Kenya tree to me. Water parameters would still give alot to work with.

Here, a video of it before acclimation and adding it to the tank:

In the video, the two xenia that are pumping are now dead. The third one with closed polyps is the one still alive, but it hasn't pumped since the first day of being introduced in the tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia will melt if they get cold
I lost a bunch after a winter power outage of 5 days where the tank got down to 74 for a night
Everything else was fine

OP
OP
Kiophy

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia will melt if they get cold
I lost a bunch after a winter power outage of 5 days where the tank got down to 74 for a night
Everything else was fine
From what I've read there are many factors as to why xenia melt, but always related to a quick change in water parameters. Good to know that I need to look out for keeping the temperature very stable as well then, thank you.

Back