Mysterious White Growths on GSP

KilbergReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am new to the reef tank world, started my tank early this year, I have a GSP that typically looks great, last night I noticed some strange white things growing on it, can anyone tell me what these are? They have an opening/hole on the top and look prickly. There are 4 of them on it and today it hasn’t opened up like normal.

Thank you!!!

B5F545A7-8C2A-486A-B5E4-D269E17AF382.jpeg 4F3006B1-70E2-4C61-9BB5-619C2DD03C15.jpeg

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like pineapple sponges to me, normally nothing to worry about sign of a healthy system, but it may be odd to see them growing in the gsp like that?

If they appear to be bothering the polyps you can just knock them off, they take almost no force to remove

OP
OP
KilbergReef

KilbergReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googled that and I think you are correct!! My zoas are open and happy today, this GSP has always been somewhat temperamental... thanks for your help!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely Pineapple Sponges, I have lots in my filtration system and heater. I like them because they filter feed, but if they're irritating the GSP colony you should be able to easily remove them with some tweezers. Hope I could help!

OP
OP
KilbergReef

KilbergReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has opened back up again, not sure why it closes for days at a time. Almost as if it closes to grow and then opens up again once it has had a growth spurt?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP can be temperamental at times. I've got a little portion of mine that is not open at the moment. Usually they rebound pretty well. The pineapple sponges usualy are not a problem and are considered a good filter feeder. Wouldn't worry too much. And welcome to R2R by the way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back