Mysterious yellow tang death

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure how this happened, but I lost my yellow tang today. He was almost a year old and the boss of my 75 gallon.

Two days ago he ate well and looked good. I added some chemi clean to head off cyano and removed my collection cup on skimmer. Today, I went to do a water change and couldn't find him. After searching, he was stuck to the backside of my mp40. Immediately, I shut it down and his curved body wearily floated away.

Still alive, I moved him to a small 5 gallon tank that had been running with a couple hermits. He couldn't swim. Too much damage.

Has anyone ever lost a seemingly healthy fish after using chemi clean?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I found posts of people having issues. I would say most don't but some do. I was looking into it when I had green cyano and decided to not use it after finding some posts with fish deaths. I would assume it was from oxygen but that is just a guess... although it sounds like you had the skimmer going so I would think that is not the cause.

My green cyano completely cleared up on its own with regular maintenance and time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ChemiClean has to be dosed precisely. I do 80% if recommended. It may have lowered the available oxygen

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, it must have been oxygen starvation, how are the other fish? Tangs are very delicate and super sensitive to water params, maybe he got weakened from lack of oxygen and got stuck in the MP40.

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other fish are doing fine. Going to take water into lfs to see if my testers are similar. I'm in agreement on the lack of oxygen theory.

Thank you

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update. I had 1 test that was not correct. My salinity was at 1.031. I guess my refractometer lost its calibration after a couple years. Needless to say the small QT I put the tang in was high in salt also. I brought home some store water to set my refractometer. Now the slow process to lower salinity.

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I had 1 test that was not correct. My salinity was at 1.031. I guess my refractometer lost its calibration after a couple years. Needless to say the small QT I put the tang in was high in salt also. I brought home some store water to set my refractometer. Now the slow process to lower salinity.
After a couple YEARS?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back