Mystery cause of coral withering

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! I am in great need of the community’s help with some recent rapid coral decline despite good parameters.

I have a 25 gallon coral quarantine, bear bottom, corals on racks, with ok parameters but for some reason my soft coral (palythoa & mushroom) are rapidly shrinking, withering and look distressed/scrunched. The coral are in moderate to stronger light, with moderate flow.

Parameters are:
PH: 7.6
CA: 407
Alk: 8 dKH
Mag: N/A
Phosphate: 0! Yes, 0.
Ammonia: 0.
Nitrate: 0! Yes, 0.

Flow and lighting have been moderate to high, which I have reduced the last day or so just in case it was contributing to the coral decline. I did a 20% water change yesterday.

I had a diatom and slight hair algae outbreak a few weeks ago. I added GFO & purigen in addition to ongoing rox carbon into a hang on back filter.

Since the outbreak, the algae has disappeared thanks to the cleanup crew and reduction of nutrients. As I can not find an issue with my major parameters, I reduced flow/light and removed the purigen and GFO.

The corals are still in decline and I can use help determining if any of the following is the reason for these issues:

1. No nutrients ( phosphate/nitrate). I recently started feeding reef chili to the tank. But the nutrients have dropped since adding the GFO and cleanup crew weeks ago and lined up with the decline in coral.

2. Reduction in trace elements. Possible that the GFO has removed trace elements with no ammonia or nitrate present?

3. Too much light? I’m running AI Primes and do not have them running over 80% a piece, not too hot. No PAR measurements though.

4. Leaching of aluminum from GFO or some other toxin or metal?

5. Over use of media? Carbon? Purigen? Not sure here...

If any of the above seems to be my cause I would greatly appreciate your insight and recommendations on how to resolve as I do not know what is the issue.

Thank you SO much!!!

- Mark

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too much light and not enough nutrients, with getting nutrients in the tank being the priority. I'd personally dose seachem phosphorus and sodium nitrate to get those detectable and then go slowly to raise them up to whereever you want them.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I will continue to feed the reef chili on a daily basis, and will look into adding the sea chem product today.

Any one else have any ideas??

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your insight @Waters @ @ihavecrabs

Unfortunately I can not locate the phosphorous products at LFS’s. I will continue to add reef chili daily while detritus accumulates on the bare bottom.

Carbon will continue to run unless you recommend for me to remove for the time being.

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Once phosphate raises I will slowly reintroduce the GFO.

If the corals do not improve in health, I will reach back out.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates up already to .031 ppm.

I’ll see how coral reacts over the next two days and will update then.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas. I’m all ears, especially if this doesn’t work as some coral is still looking ticked off.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update with aome questions on the bottom... really could use some help... discouraged reefer here.

So I’ve been having inconsistent phosphate test results w/ the Hannah Checker. After readings of 0, 0.03, 0.0013... what I do know is I’m having s hard time getting the phosphates up.

I have a phosphorous additive arriving tomorrow.

Otherwise I have been adding foods to the tank: fish pellets and reef chili.

Coral Update:
The Zoa’s look slightly happier, the mushrooms do not.

Unfortunately my elegance coral has shrunken And withered totally since adding the foods. Th elegence has looked 100% until now.
Any ideas as to what can be happening to the elegance?

All other parameters are still in good standing.

Thank you so much. This is so discouraging. Even worse is I have a large shipment of coral coming on Wednesday from a live sale a few weeks ago... ugh...

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to lower your light levels a little with your nutrients being so low.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update and one question!!

After getting the PO4 up to .03, all the coral are looking happy and healthy.

The problem is I can’t keep the PO4 up. Without dosing and with some daily pellets, PO4 drops from 0.04 to 0.01 in one day. How should I try to maintain the PO4? I will be away from the tank on vacation next week and need to have this figured out before then...

There’s no fish as it’s a coral quarantine tank. Should I just feed more pellet food?

Thank you so much!!!!

Vteclover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More food or what we do here is adding dsr po4+ (europe)
When i had bleaching acro from the base from 0,00 phospate it took 3 weeks of 0,08 dosing daily before i could measure 0,02 in the water collum after 24 hours instead of 0,00

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m manually dosing now, and would have to set up a doser to run while I’m out of the country.

Does anyone think I can run an automatic fish feeder instead for the week? I would like to avoid setting up a doser for now.

Also, if I’m looking to raise PO4 primarily through increased feeding, are there any concerns or issues I should look out for such as increased ammonia, etc.

Thanks everyone!

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not try to micromanage phosphate. The GFO is what stripped it from the water. Just let phosphate reach a stable point and if the corals look good don't manage it.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@O'l Salty Sounds good. I'll elevate feeding of pellets and maintain consistency via auto feeder while away.

Would the increase in rotting food increase ammonia as well?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back