Mystery Crab

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one ate a baby sweetlips :'(
This crab did? How big is it? Looks to be about 1" carapace, maybe bigger, in the photos. I'm not saying it's not the culprit, but most crabs are opportunistic, not obligate predators. Are you sure the sweetlips wasn't already dead/dying?

Do you know, or can you guess, where it came from? My rock all came from the Keys, which has helped me more accurately id a fair amount of critters. Crabs aren't as widely spread as most marine animals, on the individual species level at least.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This crab did? How big is it? Looks to be about 1" carapace, maybe bigger, in the photos. I'm not saying it's not the culprit, but most crabs are opportunistic, not obligate predators. Are you sure the sweetlips wasn't already dead/dying?

Do you know, or can you guess, where it came from? My rock all came from the Keys, which has helped me more accurately id a fair amount of critters. Crabs aren't as widely spread as most marine animals, on the individual species level at least.
500% certain [emoji14] the crab was in it's own box hanging on the tank, and so was the sweetlips(and a baby fortesque waspfish), then I moved the crab in with the sweetlips, next day the sweetlips was gone. I even fed the crab heaps that night, so warning [emoji14]

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look at the claws, that alone tells you that crab will be up to nefarious deeds at some point and needs to come out. Do yourself a favor and avoid future headaches and remove him from the DT.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back