Mystery: Only my Palys are ticked? (Paly closed, Zoa open)

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a tank that is 95%+ Paly and Zoa.

Over the past couple of days a number of my Palys have closed up partially or all the way.

The tank contains a mix of probably 30-40 different "types/morphs/varieties" of various Paly and Zoa.

I don't know for sure for all of them which are zoa and which are Paly. However the 3 types that are closed right now are almost certainly Paly. I have a habit of splitting up frags and placing duplicates in different parts of the tank (flow/light/different neighbors). I.e. If I get a frag of 10+ polyps I'll typically split it into 2-3 smaller frags containing 3-5 polyps and mount them in different locations.

Right now the closed Paly in my tank are 3 types split into 8 smaller frags. So wether one type is high or low light or high or low flow all of that type is currently closed in the tank.

Tank ranges from 78.5-80 in temp, 8.05-8.3 pH, phos 0, nitrates are nearly undetectable, ammonia 0, SG is 1.026. There have been no recent additions (last 3-4 weeks) to the tank. I have no fish nor inverts that are known predators. And there aren't any missing polyps just closed up ones. And no recet changes in dosing, lighting, salt mix, food, etc.No recent deaths either.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a tank that is 95%+ Paly and Zoa.

Over the past couple of days a number of my Palys have closed up partially or all the way.

The tank contains a mix of probably 30-40 different "types/morphs/varieties" of various Paly and Zoa.

I don't know for sure for all of them which are zoa and which are Paly. However the 3 types that are closed right now are almost certainly Paly. I have a habit of splitting up frags and placing duplicates in different parts of the tank (flow/light/different neighbors). I.e. If I get a frag of 10+ polyps I'll typically split it into 2-3 smaller frags containing 3-5 polyps and mount them in different locations.

Right now the closed Paly in my tank are 3 types split into 8 smaller frags. So wether one type is high or low light or high or low flow all of that type is currently closed in the tank.

Tank ranges from 78.5-80 in temp, 8.05-8.3 pH, phos 0, nitrates are nearly undetectable, ammonia 0, SG is 1.026. There have been no recent additions (last 3-4 weeks) to the tank. I have no fish nor inverts that are known predators. And there aren't any missing polyps just closed up ones. And no recet changes in dosing, lighting, salt mix, food, etc.No recent deaths either.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Same thing is happening to me and there only opening a tiny bit

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PhotoGrid_1605819862247.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its a nutrient issue.
Ive had plenty of success with your nutrient levels.
There seems to be a lot of algae around those plugs.
Likely irritating them

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its a nutrient issue.
Ive had plenty of success with your nutrient levels.
There seems to be a lot of algae around those plugs.
Likely irritating them
I would suggest Mexican turbo snails, may be a menace to flipping frag plugs over, but they do the job.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a small water change and started carbon dosing but for some stupid reason 3 of my paly types are still closed. Everything else looks great. I don't see any pests on them.
Palys/zoas can stay closed for long periods of time, just there way of adjusting

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back