Mystery Slug Please Help ID

Heathcliff37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I an addition to my mystery coral I posted about in another thread, I also have super cool algae eating mystery slugs!

Both of them are amazing algae eaters, by far the best I have ever seen in any freshwater/ saltwater tank. They can clear the entire tank in about a day and leave the rock looking shiny like it was dipped in literal bleach, but they don’t touch coralline algae.

At first I thought these were both the same species, but upon seeing them side by side I realized they are probably not, but they must be closely related nonetheless.

I am confident they are native to south Florida and came along some water and seaweed I collected, but they also could have potentially come on some cheato or live rock from the local fish store.

The first one died and then the second one appeared about a couple weeks later.

They eat algae and expel waste out of the protrusions on their back like most Sacoglossa slugs, but I am not aware of any specific sacoglossa slugs that look like these.

Here are some pictures.

Please help me identify them!

The first slug.

IMG_7055.jpg
IMG_7078.jpg
IMG_7073.jpg
IMG_7065.jpg

The second slug.

IMG_7766.jpg
IMG_7801.jpg
IMG_7833.jpg
IMG_7887.jpg
IMG_7971.jpg
IMG_8070.jpg

OP
OP
Heathcliff37

Heathcliff37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat! I'm always a little wary of random sea slugs. Are they reproducing in your tank?
I dont know if They are reproducing. At first I thought the second one was an asexual offspring of the first, but looking at them side by side like this I’m not sure.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if They are reproducing. At first I thought the second one was an asexual offspring of the first, but looking at them side by side like this I’m not sure.
There used to be a sea slug forum that I believe was hosted by a university in Australia. I think they ran out of funds so I don't think new posts can be made, but maybe in the depths of their thread archive...

I will try to find it...

OP
OP
Heathcliff37

Heathcliff37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Going off of the previous posts, I was able to identify the slugs as members of the family Aplysiidae. The top one is definitely Petalifera ramose. The bottom one is an enigma, but that's okay. I'm thinking it's bursatella leachii but I'm not sure. With a purely aquarium diet it can look quite different than wild specimens.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back