mystery star

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this is less of an id and more of a "what do i do?" type situation. so the other night i got home from work and was checking on my tank. and in the overflow portion of my tank i spotted a starfish. now i have introduced stars to my tank but they were blue brittle stars. but this one was more of your stereotypical starfish shape. and because it was on the glass i have no idea what it looks like aside from shape. so in my infinite tired wisdom i left it there and haven't been able to find it since.

Is there anything i can really do? is there any reliable way to capture a starfish? or do i have to just hope it's a reef safe star that won't munch on all of my live stock?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely an asterina star...I've never had a problem with them in my tank but some people have had them eat zoas and certain species can reproduce very quickly...it's impossible to tell without a pic but i definitely wouldn't panic...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back