Mystery sudden death hippo tang

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t find body but Had this tang for about 3.5 years with 9 other medium sized fish in 280 gallons seemed fine yesterday and can’t find today. Only added one new fish in two years just a month ago a little yellow longnose qtd for 2.5 months and thriving in Dt. All my fish looking and acting great as tang was yesterday. No other tangs or potential bullies . Was feeding frozen omnivore clam/krill mix and mysis twice daily. Zero ammonia or nitrite detected temp is 75 and salinity is 1.028. Not sure what could have happened or what else to look for.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say without some prior symptoms. Even finding a body probably won't tell us anything. Fish do "disappear" from time to time - carpet surfing is one common reason (but unlikely with a tang). In other cases, the fish wedges itself into the rocks and then the CUC take care of it. I've had small fish go into the sump, but again, unlikely with a tang. I've had issues with eels and lungfish going into hiding, and then come out fine weeks or even months later. Again, unlikely with a tang like this.

Watch the remaining fish for subtle signs of issues - lack of feeding response and/or rapid breathing....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floor and pump intakes are negative. I have a pump to gravity fed sump and refugium. Didn’t come out at feeding this morning when others did . Was only about 4” so not nearly old enough.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back