Mystery White Mushroom Coral ?

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , I purchased this mushroom about two years ago . The LPS associate said it came in with a bunch of other mushrooms and sold it to me for $30. While I was waiting for it to be bagged up there was a sales rep there he came over saw them and asked to purchase the remaining ones and he was very excited. I asked him what they were and he said they were a rare find he did mention the scientific name and said they were worth a few hundred dollars each. I didn’t care because I was happy with what I had found and it looked spectacular in my tank. It was within view for a few days then disappeared. About a year and a half Later I saw in the tank down in a little rock crevice cave and without totally dismantling my tank there’s no way of retrieving it and I figured why because it sure looks happy where it is. So I apologize for not the best pictures due to its location but if anyone can assist me with determining what this is and can it be treated like other mushrooms and propagated. Thank you

79BC668F-D01E-48E5-98D9-55C27AF5769E.jpeg 05E5B593-8AA5-463A-A24C-A97C0ED61B55.jpeg 13CCB04C-B3CD-453E-B511-6E200723C866.jpeg 47EAF471-FF4C-4E44-A501-3D33CBB471A5.jpeg 02911196-E472-4F08-B770-0490BE1AEF88.jpeg

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda just looks like a green discosoma but I guess I don't really know for sure what it is. Little bleached though,

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Green discosoma. It’s bleached but these things survive nuclear war. It’ll bounce back.

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Green discosoma. It’s bleached but these things survive nuclear war. It’ll bounce back.
So when you refer to it being bleached I’m assuming that means it’s not getting enough light ? Why would it position itself in a cave area with very minimal lighting? would it not try to get to a better light source which it has not done over the past year and a half ?

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you refer to it being bleached I’m assuming that means it’s not getting enough light ? Why would it position itself in a cave area with very minimal lighting? would it not try to get to a better light source which it has not done over the past year and a half ?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching could also be from to much light and or nutrient levels I believe

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleached meaning that the zooxanthellae have left the coral. Sometimes corals expel zooxanthellae. Sometimes too much or too little light can do this. There are many factors. However, yours has retained color. That’s a good thing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back