mystery worms - a LOT

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other morning I woke up to this on the back glass. It looked just like a vine or root system, but it was alive and slowly moving. Up close it was tiny worms all stacked on top of each other and traveling together in this network. When the lights came on, they slowly retreated back into the sand. I scooped some into a cup and they were very fine in diameter, and looked to be part white and part dark reddish / brown color. Does anyone have any idea what these are? I searched around and couldn't find anything similar.

Worm Tree.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This looks like a spaghetti worm. Some people like myself discard them while others keep them to rid of detritus
You can place in sump

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. I know it's hard to tell, but there are literally thousands making up the web you see on the back glass. Tiny worms, like less than half inch, and very thin. So thousands of individuals piled up on the glass, and not larger worms in the sand. I looked up spaghetti worms and just don't think it's that. Any other ideas? I forgot to mention before, but my tank is less than 3 months running.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I had them 3 days in a row in different designs on the back of the tank. I haven't seen them since. I was never able to determine what they were.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a spaghetti worm. Some people like myself discard them while others keep them to rid of detritus
You can place in sump
How do you get rid of spaghetti worms or if yiu can completely eradicate them, decrease their numbers lol. I have a lot. Only have 65G and not looking to add anymore fish to system. Oh and no sump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you get rid of spaghetti worms or if yiu can completely eradicate them, decrease their numbers lol. I have a lot. Only have 65G and not looking to add anymore fish to system. Oh and no sump
Manually remove them. They do stick to the bottom well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back