Nano and Pico Tank Sizes

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After asking everyone in out community. We have come up with the size limits for Nano Tanks.

Nano Tank - Any Display tank under 40 gallons. This does not include the sump or anything the tank is tied in to. It is just the display

Pico Tank - Any Display tank under 5.5 gallons. This does not inclyde the sump or anything the tank is tied in to. Just the display.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After asking everyone in out community. We have come up with the size limits for Nano Tanks.

Nano Tank - Any Display tank under 40 gallons. This does not include the sump or anything the tank is tied in to. It is just the display

Pico Tank - Any Display tank under 5.5 gallons. This does not inclyde the sump or anything the tank is tied in to. Just the display.

There are quite a few people who keep 40 Breeders now as Nano's so maybe you should include those as well ... just my thoughts ..

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people would consider 40G Nanos, but understand the confusion. In my case, I use machinery similar to "Nanos" because I am sumpless. If I saw a sumped 40B... I would have a slightly harder time viewing it as a Nano. If I were in charge of determining the "size" requirements, I would dictate 40 gallons or below... total volume. :D

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people would consider 40G Nanos, but understand the confusion. In my case, I use machinery similar to "Nanos" because I am sumpless. If I saw a sumped 40B... I would have a slightly harder time viewing it as a Nano. If I were in charge of determining the "size" requirements, I would dictate 40 gallons or below... total volume. :D

Very well said indeed Electrobes .... a 40 B should IMO be included just as 20 G tanks that have 10 gal or even 20 gal sumps are considered Nanos ... I even have a friend who has a 10 Gallon Nano with a 28 gal Bowfront sump underneath .... so when you look at it that way anything IMO up to 40 Gals should be included and that is also how I noted it in my Nano Reef Aquariums Book ... (running low on printed copies btw) and have offered a special on the e-Version in the Albert Thiel thread here in the Nano section ... $15 instead of $20 ... and more

jlydon29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term "nano" seems to be getting stretched out a bit. Less than 30 gallons is even still, a quite a stretch. Less than 16 gallons, is more like it. Placing an 8 gallon Nuvo next to a 40b, and trying to convince someone they are in the same size category, is bold!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think the cut off point for a nano would be about 25gallons for the display.
If we start considering a 40gal a nano then all the people with 55s will be like "dude, check out my 55 gallon nano" then we'll have to consider a 55 a nano. Just like we did (in this hypothetical anyway) with the 40.
It'll keep on going and eventually people will be like "just bought a 15,000 gallon nano today. It's a nano compared to the ocean..." Haha.

Last edited:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think size of the sump wont add or take away to the fact if it is a pico or nano. It shouldnt be considered into the matter.

While it is unlikely that somebody will have a 10 gallon display and a 100 gal sump...

But I believe in a situation like that it would be considered a nano regardless because you are only working with 10 gallon dimensions to stock livestock. I wouldnt stock much in that 10 gal regardless of the size of the sump.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think size of the sump wont add or take away to the fact if it is a pico or nano. It shouldnt be considered into the matter.

While it is unlikely that somebody will have a 10 gallon display and a 100 gal sump...

But I believe in a situation like that it would be considered a nano regardless because you are only working with 10 gallon dimensions to stock livestock. I wouldnt stock much in that 10 gal regardless of the size of the sump.

Exactly. I think the display tank should be the only thing taken into consideration. In your example that means i would have 110 gallons. Could I put a tang or large angel in that 110 gallon set up? No because it's only a 10 gallon display tank.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure why we even need the "nano", "pico" and other classifications. A 40gal is 40 gallons regardless of if it's considered a nano, a small tank, a big tank or whatever.
Why must we name EVERYTHING in this hobby? From corals that are so slightly different in pattern to the point where people are arguing over what it is based on how many spots it has near the mouth to whether or not a tank should fall into a certain classification based on size.
If we treated people the same way we'd be horrible people. Judging how good or bad someone is based on size or skin colour.
Next thing you know people will be arguing over what to name certain light settings. "No it's dusk because the blues are 60% brighter than the whites."
"No, it's late dusk because the whites are below 10%".
Geeeeez! Just accept things for what they are and stop trying to push everything into some sort of category. Things can't be left alone in this hobby. Everything needs to be something....

Novillac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder, and there is no way I would consider it a nano. Its a small tank yes, but not a nano.

I have always thought less than 20 was a nano and less than 5 being a pico.

Definitely not a 40 being a nano though, being able to keep a small tang in a tank should disqualify it as a nano completely.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old standard 0-6 pico, 6-30 nano, it's not as commonly used as it use to be.

The reason why we label a specific volume of water is because we buy and sell live stock appropriate (liveaquria nano fish for example) and equipment designed for that volume of water.

Last edited:

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think the cut off point for a nano would be about 25gallons for the display.
If we start considering a 40gal a nano then all the people with 55s will be like "dude, check out my 55 gallon nano" then we'll have to consider a 55 a nano. Just like we did (in this hypothetical anyway) with the 40.
It'll keep on going and eventually people will be like "just bought a 15,000 gallon nano today. It's a nano compared to the ocean..." Haha.

I haven't had a quiet chuckle this good in a while. Compared to the ocean.... blahahhahh!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back