Nano and pico tank Tuesdays

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our Tuesday Tank Tip for Nano/Pico tanks: Feed sparingly, and we mean VERY little! Overfeeding is one of the biggest issues creating nutrient problems for hobbyists in general, but this problem gets magnified in nano (and especially pico) tanks. With the small bioload in nano and pico tanks, there just isn't a need for feeding much. Feed sparingly and watch at feeding time to be sure you're not overdoing it. Want to talk about more tips for these small reef tanks? Join the discussion at this thread: Top 10 tips for Nano Tanks! What tips would you give?

IME This is not correct at all the amount of food going into the system does not matter so much as long as you also pull it out before it breaks down

Keeping a nano or Pico healthy is all about filtering and removing stuff before it has a chance to break down not starving your tank

I run a very high suspended organic system and I pull everything out that night while everything sleeps

My water parameters are very close to ocean levels which starves most peoples tanks

Again the key is not what goes in

It's what you can pull out before it breaks down crapping up your water

This is personal experience in

I put half a cube of
mysis
Spiralina brine
Krill
1tsp reef roids
10 drips of brightwells aminos
Then 1/4 cube of
Mysis
Spiralina brine
And kill added to the roids and amino put in a magic bullet

In 25 gallons of actual water volume

And i did not relize till last week the montipora forestfire i have has grown like a weed but its been bleached for the last year just now getting color back and has more then tripled in size by just feeding alone

This all hoes into the tank over the course of a day

Then it all comes out that night via overfiltering the tank and scrubbing the water

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a lot of fish!
4 small fish

32 biocube 25 gallons of actual water

Clown
6line
Royal gramma
Sapphire damsel

That's it all my fish are fat and 0 agression in my tank

I feed this much so everything in the tank gets feed plenty coral grows like weeds and I have 0 nutrient problems been this way for almost 2 years now so also not a new tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back