Nano coated (algae proof) aquarium glass?

Q43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve seen nano coatings magically repel water, stains, etc. on many different surfaces, but I’ve always wondered if the same technology could be applied to aquarium glass. In theory, this would prevent algae from growing on it and could also reduce salt creep and hard water stains since any droplets would just slide right back down into the water. Well, I just stumbled across a product that claims to do just that. This German company supposedly developed a nano coating specifically for aquarium glass that is completely safe for fish and is so slick that nothing can stick to or grow on it for 5 years. However, it seems too good to be true since I can’t find a single review for it anywhere. If it really does everything they claim, shouldn’t there be a bunch of people talking about it? Does anyone know of a product like this being used for a reef tank? I reached out to the company to ask what the stuff is made of (what’s being leeched into the water over those 5 years?) and whether they have any evidence of it actually working. If they can present any proof to back up their claims, I just might be crazy enough to try this stuff out on my new tank build. I’ll probably run an ICP-OES test on my water after a few weeks to see if anything spikes. Stupid? Or brilliant? Wouldn’t it be amazing if I never had to scrape algae again?

Link: Percenta Nano Coating for Aquariums

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrophobic coatings will not repel algae. All kinds of proteins and other molecules bind to it rapidly, and then organisms bind to that. That's why teflon coated ships are not a thing. This article discusses algae attachment to various surfaces:

If you want to strongly repel marine life, you need a much more complicated system, like this one that puts a thin, self repairing nonwater liquid coating (SLIPS) on the glass or metal:

Certain combinations of hydrophilc peaks with valleys can also work, as noted in the link above.

OP
OP
Q43

Q43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more digging and found out that this stuff is made from titanium dioxide nanoparticles, which is definitely NOT safe for corals. A study published by NIH found that “Exposure to nano‐TiO2 caused significant Zooxanthellae expulsion in all the colonies”. So much for that idea. Maybe someone could try it out on a fish-only aquarium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back