Nano CUC and pistol shrimp suggestions

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 g rimless biocube. Just got some clownfish in it and a yasha goby. I know I need some clean up crew to handle the mess that's going to come. Should I get all snails or a mix of snails and some crabs?

Also going to get a pistol shrimp to pair with my yasha goby. Any suggestions on the best kind or coolest looking pistol shrimp?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The common pairing shrimp are tiger and candy cane pistols. Candy cane is best for the smaller gobies like yashas - there’s a chance a tiger may see it as a meal.
As for cuc, it depends what you are looking for, whether you want crabs, etc. I’d get a mix of nass snails, trochus snails, cerith snails, hermit crabs, and an emerald crab.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The common pairing shrimp are tiger and candy cane pistols. Candy cane is best for the smaller gobies like yashas - there’s a chance a tiger may see it as a meal.
As for cuc, it depends what you are looking for, whether you want crabs, etc. I’d get a mix of nass snails, trochus snails, cerith snails, hermit crabs, and an emerald crab.
Thanks for the advice! I think I want a candy cane pistol. They seem much prettier and a better size for the yasha. Do you have a yasha? Mine has disappeared and I don't know if he is alive or not.

I figured I would go for a little of everything on the cuc. Also, would you suggest any other type of shrimp to be apart of the cleanup crew

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aurora goby - yasha is on my list though. They can disappear for a bit - how long has it been?
Most shrimp seem more on the ornamental side than the cleanup side, but a good ol’ skunk cleaner is always an option. Otherwise, peppermints are good for aptasia but may pick at corals.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aurora goby - yasha is on my list though. They can disappear for a bit - how long has it been?
Most shrimp seem more on the ornamental side than the cleanup side, but a good ol’ skunk cleaner is always an option. Otherwise, peppermints are good for aptasia but may pick at corals.
It's only been two days, but I haven't seen the fish at all. Like not even a sign of it. He was kind of struggling from the shipping because the company messed it up. I have looked around the tank to make sure he didn't jump and I can't find anything.

Do sexy shrimp do anything or are they just ornamental?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp is hosting, firefish, high fin goby, blood red fire shrimp :)
As long as you have a good cave for pistol shrimp I don't see any problems:)

Attachments

• IMG20221103125731.jpg
    IMG20221103125731.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 29
  • VID20221103125620.mp4
    43.1 MB

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed that cleaner shrimp aren't part of the cleanup crew. They'll scavenge fish food if they find it, but you have to make sure they're getting actual food, they won't eat much detritus.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back