Nano CUC for fragile Macros

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a little 5-gallon with a few of the more basic types of algae.

Recently, I went out of town and had someone monitor the tank. In the meantime, I lost control of the nuisance algae growing on my pretty stuff. Usually, I really don't mind hair algae that much, but in this tank, I want to have it eradicated.

It's smothering my Gracilaria Hayi, which is now getting more drab and yellow.
It's turning my pretty Halimeda into snotty flag poles.
And worst of all it's always catching debris and bubbles and making everything look SOOOOO bad!

I always removed the stuff manually, but now even after a deep clean I just can't get rid of all of it. I need some CUC that can pick it off of the delicate branches.

I worry that even the smallest crabs will snap the little branches, snails too. Some (very) small algae-eating fish would be the ideal solution, but I don't know if that even exists.

The tank is very overrun, the only inhabitant is a single sexy shrimp. I can afford to add something to help clean up this mess.

I will include pictures of the sheer devastation in some following posts.

Please help my little tank, It's my favorite so far.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I have a little 5-gallon with a few of the more basic types of algae.

Recently, I went out of town and had someone monitor the tank. In the meantime, I lost control of the nuisance algae growing on my pretty stuff. Usually, I really don't mind hair algae that much, but in this tank, I want to have it eradicated.

It's smothering my Gracilaria Hayi, which is now getting more drab and yellow.
It's turning my pretty Halimeda into snotty flag poles.
And worst of all it's always catching debris and bubbles and making everything look SOOOOO bad!

I always removed the stuff manually, but now even after a deep clean I just can't get rid of all of it. I need some CUC that can pick it off of the delicate branches.

I worry that even the smallest crabs will snap the little branches, snails too. Some (very) small algae-eating fish would be the ideal solution, but I don't know if that even exists.

The tank is very overrun, the only inhabitant is a single sexy shrimp. I can afford to add something to help clean up this mess.

I will include pictures of the sheer devastation in some following posts.

Please help my little tank, It's my favorite so far.
Have you looked into stomatella snails, pods, and maybe some limpets?

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw I used to have a whole bunch of Stomatellas before. That tank crashed and lost them though. From what I’ve seen it’s hard to get ahold of them due to them really just being hitchhikers and I always use dry or clean stuff.

I have a good assortment of pods. Amphipods, those Munnid Isopods, and copepods. However, I don’t think they’re doing anything.

I have the same fear with Limpets that they will be too heavy, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in person so perhaps that judgment is incorrect. How big are limpets?

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolutely disgusting algae.

Attachments

• 8E177DAB-66DD-47DE-AD64-6FC0FA107C29.jpeg
    8E177DAB-66DD-47DE-AD64-6FC0FA107C29.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 30
  • A09A1646-4E07-40D8-A66C-211C13AFF5F4.jpeg
    A09A1646-4E07-40D8-A66C-211C13AFF5F4.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 28
  • BF083E4E-A649-4B06-B27D-52B0D1BE6D19.jpeg
    BF083E4E-A649-4B06-B27D-52B0D1BE6D19.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 025C94BB-9BE9-438C-A3FF-57137EB96F2C.jpeg
    025C94BB-9BE9-438C-A3FF-57137EB96F2C.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 33

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aw I used to have a whole bunch of Stomatellas before. That tank crashed and lost them though. From what I’ve seen it’s hard to get ahold of them due to them really just being hitchhikers and I always use dry or clean stuff.

I have a good assortment of pods. Amphipods, those Munnid Isopods, and copepods. However, I don’t think they’re doing anything.

I have the same fear with Limpets that they will be too heavy, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in person so perhaps that judgment is incorrect. How big are limpets?
Unfortunately, they are for us at the moment but their shipping size shell length is around 2/5"

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2/5" is still too large to not harm the thin (1/16"-1/8") branches of Halimeda which is my main concern, additionally even the website itself states they specialize in Film Algae, not hair algae.

I appreciate the help and respect the grind, however, I don't believe the invertebrates available on algae barn can provide a solution to my issue.

I really need either a team of very very small snails or something light-footed that enjoys hair algae. Such as a shrimp. Although, I don't know of a shrimp that eats hair algae.

I am not cleaning rockwork, I am eradicating epiphytic pests.

I am further open to more chemical means of removal, however, this tank lacks a centerpiece species and I was looking got kill two birds with one stone.

Perhaps someone with experience who isn't just trying to sell me their product will respond.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2/5" is still too large to not harm the thin (1/16"-1/8") branches of Halimeda which is my main concern, additionally even the website itself states they specialize in Film Algae, not hair algae.

I appreciate the help and respect the grind, however, I don't believe the invertebrates available on algae barn can provide a solution to my issue.

I really need either a team of very very small snails or something light-footed that enjoys hair algae. Such as a shrimp. Although, I don't know of a shrimp that eats hair algae.

I am further open to more chemical means of removal, however, this tank lacks a centerpiece species and I was looking got kill two birds with one stone.

Perhaps someone with experience who isn't just trying to sell me their product will respond.
Maybe @WheatToast or @Tigahboy can provide some insight, as they both have macro dominated tanks.

I have a seahare in my macro tank and it eats GHA like a boss, but I do not have any gha growing directly on the plants, so cannot help there.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @WheatToast or @Tigahboy can provide some insight, as they both have macro dominated tanks.

I have a seahare in my macro tank and it eats GHA like a boss, but I do not have any gha growing directly on the plants, so cannot help there.
Aw, I love sea hares. But if my memory serves me right they grow to be absolute monsters. They would definitely eat all the algae in my tank and mow my lawn while they were at it.

Perhaps there is another Nudibranch that stays small. I actually have seen a few really tiny ones in the tank, no idea what they are eating but nothing I like is too unhappy for me to bother getting rid of them.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, I love sea hares. But if my memory serves me right they grow to be absolute monsters. They would definitely eat all the algae in my tank and mow my lawn while they were at it.

Perhaps there is another Nudibranch that stays small. I actually have seen a few really tiny ones in the tank, no idea what they are eating but nothing I like is too unhappy for me to bother getting rid of them.
They do get large. I have mine in a 7' tank, so it has room lol.

There are nudis specialized in eating only specific forms of algae. I cannot remember what ones they are, but I want to say one was black and blue and only ate GHA. I could be wrong though lol. Old brain has issues with things sometimes.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wasn't trying to sell you a product that isn't in stock. - That why I also mentioned the stomatellas (not something that we carry) :) Dove snails are usually pretty popular for macroalgae tanks ( some consider them to be a pest due to how fast the can replicate) and do well eating fine hair/nuisance algae.

-Raven

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back