Nano filtration ideas

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 14 gallon rimless cube. It’s currently cycling and only equipment is a heater, temp probe, and a cheap power head. My ideas for filtration were either tunze comline 3163. I like this because it has space for some dosing, probes and heater. Or a tunze comline 9004 skimmer.

I don’t have overflows or a sump so I need a power filter. I also really want the overflow. Tank is probably going to have 2 clowns and maybe a 6 line wrasse. As for corals it’s probably going to be mostly softies LPS. Sometimes I travel for work for long periods of time so it needs to be easy for the wife to take care of it.

Any more suggestions or experience?

3647AC04-F0C9-4453-90D0-143BB62AC305.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AquaClear 50 filter worked for me, though it needed to be refilled when the power went out. I know there are other HOB filter options that do maintain siphon during outages, but I have never used them. If you do get one of these HOB filters, try to get an oversized one, since their output is pretty weak. The Aquaclear 50 is rated for tanks up to 50 gallons in capacity, but I feel as though mine can barely serve a 10 gallon tank, let alone a 50 gallon one, on its highest flow setting.
From the picture, it looks like your heater has been placed partially above the water line. Unless the heater directions state otherwise, completely submerge it underwater since they can crack/explode due to the temperature difference between the air and water.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level was a little low when that picture was taken. Water level normally sits right at the base where the glass meets the cap. As for flow I’m thinking of getting a Nero 3. Not planning on having filter as main source of flow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back