Nano Fish that Don’t JUMP!!!

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I need some suggestions...
My last 3/5 fish I’ve kept went carpet surfing so frustrating!!! Ugh... my clownfish jumped (partly my fault by overfilling the tank), my Tiger Wacthman Goby (amazing fish with tons of personality but managed to jump), and today my fire fish, I introduced my Orchid Dottyback from QT to my DT I went to watch Napoleon Dynamite came back and my fire fish went carpet surfing. My tank is fully covered expect the 1/8inch parts of tank where my filter and skimmer are. And my fish keep jumping in those tiny areas!! I have a 29gallon bowfront reef with a clown and a orchid dottyback. Are there any fish that don’t jump often that would be suitable for a nano? I.E. cardinal fish, blennies, shrimp gobies, angelsfish, etc. I’m not looking for fish that will never jump just fish who are not likely to jump.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be your water quality dude. Fish can also be tempted to jump if the quality of water is bad.
My water quality is very good almost to clean... that’s probably because I’ve only had two fish for awhile bc they keep jumping out.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 1/8” gap by the filter and skimmer is the sole problem area, could you cut a strip of screening material from Home Depot and ‘plug up’ the problem without ruining the astetics of your tank?

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 1/8” gap by the filter and skimmer is the sole problem area, could you cut a strip of screening material from Home Depot and ‘plug up’ the problem without ruining the astetics of your tank?
That would work. Any fish that won’t jump though or less likely to. Once I fix that issue I think I should be fine and without jumping issues

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to generalize, I’d say look for a fish that typically wouldn’t build up a lot of speed in a nano, but as others have and will note, all fish can jump—such as when they get ‘spooked’—perhaps even by another fish. To that end, it would be a little like asking ‘which people won’t get spooked and jump if you go up behind them and pop a paper bag?’ (Lol) Maybe a Cardinal fish?

Glassfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Catalina goby doesn't jump but needs cooler water .Also have a pygmy hawk fish that doesn't jump and only gets to be 2". Call a geometric pygmy perchlet or hawk

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
The orchid dotty back can and will be very aggressive towards other fish and will most likely be the cause of any further fish deciding to carpet surf. A forum search regarding those fish will further confirm my statement. Firefish jump, there’s nothing you can do about that, but having a very tightly secured lid with no openings is going to be your best bet. As someone mentioned above get the screening kit from Home Depot to cover the gap you mention. A starry blenny may be a good choice, also a Royal Gramma as well as possibly a diamond Goby but I would remove the dottyback before adding any other livestock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back