Nano Frag Tank Setup Questions

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start up a budget frag tank from a small 10 gallon set up.

Currently I have the 10 gallon tank setup with RO/DI water, some is fresh salt water and some from my cycled tank. I'm using an OTB filter with sponge only, led bulb, egg crate for the frag stand and a 250gph wavemaker is on its way. Is there anything else that I should invest in for this tank?

For calcium & phosphate, my plan was to do frequent water changes (I have a 210g and a RO/DI filter) but I'm also open to dosing if that would be beneficial.

Looking for any recommendations and tips. I'm hoping to be able to host a variety of corals from softs to SPS eventually. Thanks.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to look at dosing. Alkalinity is the most important one and the one you need to keep the most stable. The rest of the things can come from water changes. This also depends on what corals you have and how big they are. If they are big colonies, then you will need to dose calcium. I use a calcium reactor and have a trident to test these thing and just worry about changing my media out on the calcium reactor and fine tuning the reactor. It’s another route to look at.

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to look at dosing. Alkalinity is the most important one and the one you need to keep the most stable. The rest of the things can come from water changes. This also depends on what corals you have and how big they are. If they are big colonies, then you will need to dose calcium. I use a calcium reactor and have a trident to test these thing and just worry about changing my media out on the calcium reactor and fine tuning the reactor. It’s another route to look at.

Ok thank you. We don't have a calcium reactor currently. Our main tank stays stable at 9 dKh and around 350-400ppm calcium with regular water changes. I will definitely look into it. Any product recommendations for dosing?

RipleysReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g and use brightwells kalk+2 in the ATO. It’s been a great option at helping to keep stable parameters for sps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back