Nano mantis species options

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I recently setup a 13.5 fluval evo for a mantis, and while I really want a purple spot, they’re seemingly impossible to find. I know a wennerae would be a good choice, but I was wondering if there’s any other species that would work? One of the sites I’ve been looking at has curacoensis, anyone have any experience with this species? Or know it’s compatibility with coral? I’d like to keep softies and maybe a euphyllia down the road. I do have an AI prime for when I do start adding corals.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a couple people who keep curacaoensis. They are pretty looking but they spend a lot of time inside the burrow and don't leave much according to them. If you want a more active species wennerae is a better choice, havanesis I hear is also highly active.

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several years experience with N. wennerae. They are a solid choice. Highly active, relatively small, and easily found (back in the day anyway). Tampa Bay Saltwater use to have them for $50 but I checked their website and they are not shipping due to the current situation we are in. I have no experience with havanensis or curacaoensis. I have heard good things about havanensis through conversation but never encountered anyone who had a curacaoensis. Corals aren't a problem as long as you have them glued or zip tied down as long as they don't sting too much.

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue zoo has a spot for em but I don’t think they’re in stock. I thought I’d seen em somewhere but I think it was chiragra I saw now that I think about it

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a wennerae, salty bottom reef company has them for only $11 :) speaking of smithiis, I recently got an almost baby one! He’s about an inch long but I saw those purple meral spots
Where did you get him from?!? And yeah I’ve been watching those. I’m trying to hold out for a smithii tho.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get him from?!? And yeah I’ve been watching those. I’m trying to hold out for a smithii tho.
At my lfs, they got him in on a grab or something! I’ve only had a mantis this tiny once before that I couldn’t id. I’m taking extra good care of this one so I can watch him grow! I’ll post pics when I find my macro lens :)

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ternatensis it does say they’re found in branching coral, would soft corals be a concern with this species or only stony corals? And what about LPS vs something like Acros. I’ve got some soft corals and would like a torch but I’m not interested in SPS. I do have one sun coral. Would any of that be of concern with the ternatensis?

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with the ternatensis, Roy Caldwell recommends a minimum tank size of 10 gallons but the site that has them recommends 24 gallons and up. Mines a 13 gallon, is this too small for this mantis?

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept one so my opinion is just theory, but 40l = 10 gal is probably due to behavior but he says max size is 120mm = 4.7 inches which is pretty darn big for a smasher, bigger than chiragra and I never trusted my chiragras in a 10 due to glass thickness. What width is your glass?

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept one so my opinion is just theory, but 40l = 10 gal is probably due to behavior but he says max size is 120mm = 4.7 inches which is pretty darn big for a smasher, bigger than chiragra and I never trusted my chiragras in a 10 due to glass thickness. What width is your glass?
I’m not sure; it’s the fluval evo so probably pretty average for the tank size. Yeah that is a fairly big smasher. I’m leaning away from getting it unfortunately. Still on the hunt for the elusive smithii

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back