Nano Reef Tank Temperature in the Tropics

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

It’s been years since my last tank, but the addiction is strong.

I just setup a nano 6 gallon reef tank. It’s my first nano, but I had reef tanks for 16 years before (I still consider myself new since the hobby has change a lot). The nano is in the tale end of a fishless cycle.

I’m doing tons of research because the hobby has changed so much since my last tank in 2006. I have tons of questions so here I am.

My first question is about temperature. I live in Bali, Indonesia. As I was buying equipment, the fish shop said I did not need a heater. I thought that was crazy, but since I have time to cycle the tank, I figure I could monitor and see if that was true.

Sure enough, over the last two weeks, my tank’s temperature has been stable at a minimum 28 C / 82 F to a maximum 29 C / 84 F. I definitely don’t need a heater as the temperature here in Bali is constant all year round.

Today I installed a cooling fan. Since turning it on 4 hours ago the temperature dropped to 26C / 79F.

I also ordered an Inkbird WiFI temperature controller. It can monitor the temperature and turn on a heater if too low or turn on a cooling fan if too high. It works with the Smart Life App so I think I can get it to turn on my AC too. It’s stuck in customs waiting to be cleared, but I should have it by Monday.

So the question, what is the highest temperature I can set my tank at? I’m planning mostly softies, zoa, LSP, 1 or 2 small fish, and minimal cleanup crew.

I think it would be better to set my temp to the higher range. I do not need to worry about my temp dropping. I’m more worried about the temp going up in a power outage.

I know most hobbyist go for an average of 78F. I have also read 84F is still within range.

I’ve wondering what everyone else thinks.

Also, anyone else in the tropics with similar conditions?

Thank you :)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need a chiller...I'm in BKK and without a chiller my nano was heating up too much...it would get to 84 or 85 during the day when I was gone and the A/C was turned off

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are recommended chillers for a 6 gallon nano?

Today my temp got to 30 C / 86 F

but my fan was not on and I’m still waiting for my controller.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He
What are recommended chillers for a 6 gallon nano?

Today my temp got to 30 C / 86 F

but my fan was not on and I’m still waiting for my controller.
Here in Thailand we have Hailea brand and the model I have is a Hailea HS-28A...works well but I don't know if you guys have it in Indonesia or not

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two main brands are Hailea and Resun. After spending the day researching, Hailea seems better.

How noisy is the Hailea?

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very noisy at all
What model of hailea do you have, do you have it in a cabinet? I hated chiller noise so I got a Arctica mini. Now that I'm planning an upgrade, I'm looking at Arctica Dbi75.
Obviously Hailea is much cheaper, so I'm hoping to know how newer models of hailea compared to artica.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model of hailea do you have, do you have it in a cabinet? I hated chiller noise so I got a Arctica mini. Now that I'm planning an upgrade, I'm looking at Arctica Dbi75.
Obviously Hailea is much cheaper, so I'm hoping to know how newer models of hailea compared to artica.
Hailea HS-28A...no it's not in a cabinet or anything. It's not very noisy at all imo...maybe comparable to a refrigerator turning on?...I barely notice it at all anymore

akau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah buddy, same hot water drama here in the Cook Islands.
My nano once got to 32C before i got fans.

Now gone to a bigger tank and we are in winter but can still hit 28C on a hot day.

Will have to do AC or get a chiller for the summer I think. I haven't even plugged in my heater haha

20220629_194119.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah buddy, same hot water drama here in the Cook Islands.
My nano once got to 32C before i got fans.

Now gone to a bigger tank and we are in winter but can still hit 28C on a hot day.

Will have to do AC or get a chiller for the summer I think. I haven't even plugged in my heater haha

20220629_194119.jpg
I just went straight to the chiller after a week of summer heat here...btw, can you guys legally collect wild live rock from anywhere in the Cook Islands?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can legally collect anything I want!
Sweet!! That would be a dream come true for me...in Thailand collection is illegal unfortunately although I have suspicions that some of the shops here aren't really getting all their live rock all the way from Indonesia if you know what I mean...

akau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!! That would be a dream come true for me...in Thailand collection is illegal unfortunately although I have suspicions that some of the shops here aren't really getting all their live rock all the way from Indonesia if you know what I mean...
I think I know what you mean.

There are only 5 saltwater aquariums in the whole country, so it isnt much of a burden on the local environment.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know what you mean.

There are only 5 saltwater aquariums in the whole country, so it isnt much of a burden on the local environment.
It's really a shame tbh because this place could be a mecca for aquaculture and mariculture business but instead they prefer to let tourists shred the natural reefs (yeah...the tourist industry is pretty hard on the reefs)

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting Hailea HK-150A for my nano.

It is very quiet, I barely ever notice it, and only turns once an hour for a few minutes.

I use an Inkbird temp controller to turn it on and off.

I'd be in trouble without it as fans didn't cut it and just caused way too much evaporation.

I don't even own a heater.

This has kept my tank temp stable between 77.8 - 78.5.

akau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting Hailea HK-150A for my nano.

It is very quiet, I barely ever notice it, and only turns once an hour for a few minutes.

I use an Inkbird temp controller to turn it on and off.

I'd be in trouble without it as fans didn't cut it and just caused way too much evaporation.

I don't even own a heater.

This has kept my tank temp stable between 77.8 - 78.5.
yes i think that will be the direction i go too, as long as I can hide it somewhere my loving wife won't see it!

akau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really a shame tbh because this place could be a mecca for aquaculture and mariculture business but instead they prefer to let tourists shred the natural reefs (yeah...the tourist industry is pretty hard on the reefs)
The 2 things causing the damage to the reef here are:
1) Crown of thorns starfish
2) Climate change (even now in winter the temp is 26C when it should be closer to 24C. Summer it is reaching 29C, even at 100ft down.

Yeah tourists can be damaging but they are nothing compared to the 2 things above.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back