Nano reefers, talk me out of upgrading!...

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 16 gallon tank and it's starting to feel a little tight. I had to move a few things around this evening so my new urchin (dealing with some hair algae) doesn't topple them over and it's got me pondering the benefits of more space. Also some of my corals are getting quite sizeable, like my green hammer on the left, but I'm reluctant to frag or sell for now since I'm quite emotionally attached to them.

I don't necessarily want a bigger tank but I'm considering upgrading to a 36 gallon just for more breathing space. Talk me out of it! Or help me re-scape my current set up please!

IMG_0859.JPG

A few corals look a bit angry after moving them - Duncan at bottom right is really quite big too.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very well established tank. Rather than go larger, maybe part with some of these corals and replace with something you like more? Or try something a bit more difficult? Or go with a species tank?

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions! I've trying to limit my selection to what I really like already so it's tough, never thought I'd get so attached to corals :grinning-face-with-sweat: ... I know at some point I'll have to frag or trade...

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about I remove some of the rock in the background that isn't serving much of a purpose? Then I can shuffle the hammers back and give them more room.

Will the filtration be negatively affected?

IMG_0859.JPG

69cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in this game since 2003. The tank will never be big enough. :)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get something like a 60 Gallon tank and use the current tank as a sump.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on a similar situation, currently have an overgrown Nuvo 20 and looking at the Nuvo 40L. I really want the Nuvo 100 Ext but currently limited on space and getting the 100 would mean also getting new living room set . So the 40L looks like a good interim solution.

We moved earlier this year and I’m trying to keep costs down at the first couple of years.

OP
OP
Chasselti

Chasselti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on a similar situation, currently have an overgrown Nuvo 20 and looking at the Nuvo 40L. I really want the Nuvo 100 Ext but currently limited on space and getting the 100 would mean also getting new living room set . So the 40L looks like a good interim solution.

We moved earlier this year and I’m trying to keep costs down at the first couple of years.

Yeah I also feel like an interim solution in case there are any moves on the horizon. I also like to travel and the thought of investing in a big setup for it to crash is certainly a fear. Plus if I do a small jump up now I can use most of the same gear... or I just stay put. Indecision!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont talk you out of it, but I can suggest you to go as big as you can. its a continuous money pit, upgrading from one seemingly larger tank to another. something like a 90 gallon would be excellent.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 90 and water changes are a PITA i would just replace some coral i have just bought a fluval evo 13.5 and only going to buy £400+ corals so the space don't get used up as fast

this will be my 1st coral

IMG-20221102-WA0010.jpg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 16 gallon cube last year. 2 upgrades later 60 gallon. Personal opinion-get at least 60 plus tank.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said talk me out of it :face-with-tongue:

spongebob squarepants GIF
On a more serious note if you’re having feelings now about upgrading… If you’re anything like me that’s going to be in the back of your mind all the time.
I started with a 36 bow front, to a 120, 240, and now I’m at a 450. My tank would have looked amazing if I got right into it with the 450, because each upgrade I made I needed to start over

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back