Nano Refugium (chaeto) vs Nano protein skimmer

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a IM 14g Peninsula AIO and was hoping to hear some of your insights on how my middle chamber should be used. I've attached the dimensions below:
dimensions.JPG

Current options: A chaeto refugium on a reverse light cycle or nano protein skimmer. What do you think would be the most impactful for the safe reduction/maintenance of nitrates/phosphates for increased feeding capabilities. I was considering a Tunze Eco Chic refugium light

If you consider a nano skimmer most functional for my intentions, which ones would you recommend? Are they a lot of maintenance? If I leave home for 1.5weeks would this do something bad? Thanks everyone!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob skimmer. Or on the side. Just turn it down when you leave so the cup dosent overflow nasty stuff everywhere. Some come with a drain tube so u drain into a 5g bucket or equivalent.
D

OP
OP
Quokka

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone! Trying not to have anything hanging on the outside of the tank. Anyone have opinions on which method would be most useful for a way to stabilize nitrate/phosphates with minimal maintenance? I'm not necessary trying to drive my numbers down but it would be nice to increase feeding and control nutrients passively

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with a skimmer, Its hard to get good growth of chaeto in the back chambers of your aio. I know for a fact IM makes skimmer that fit their tanks, this one should work well

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, I would run it with neither for now, see how you go, I would say the skimmer would probably be my 2nd choice if you plan on leaving it for over a week, I guess you could turn it off when not there but a nano skimmer is not something I would leave unattended for more than a few hours.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it may be worth or not, but i've tried twice to add chaeto to the 1st chamber of a nano PM 25 and bleached quickly both times (within a few days). The tank is newish at 4 months and setting up a mixed reef. I was hoping sooo much it would work and improve/maintain the water quality. I even bought tunze refg light and installed in the same chamber next to the algae to aid the growth. I read all the good and effective reviews of the light. The algae was placed in the 2nd portion of a filter basket with fiber prefilter in the 1st portion, Chemipure blue in the bottom section. Actually, received the 2nd batch of algae (had to try again) last Wednesday for installation, and tank crashed Friday night. Lost most of my fish and shrimp. Really bummed. Still trying to decipher the cause, but guessing the ball of algae limited the flow thru the chambers and backed up causing an ammonia spike. Probably the area is too small for algae. The fish and critters were fine before adding the algae (or so it seemed). The algae was mostly white Saturday morning (red pom pom and chaeto) and very compacted (mush like). Ended up being an expensive experiment. Ugh.

Hope you can have better results than what i had for the chaeto addition. Still would like to find a way to make it work without adding an addon component and welcome the thoughts/ideas. Always fun to learn more.

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it may be worth or not, but i've tried twice to add chaeto to the 1st chamber of a nano PM 25 and bleached quickly both times (within a few days). The tank is newish at 4 months and setting up a mixed reef. I was hoping sooo much it would work and improve/maintain the water quality. I even bought tunze refg light and installed in the same chamber next to the algae to aid the growth. I read all the good and effective reviews of the light. The algae was placed in the 2nd portion of a filter basket with fiber prefilter in the 1st portion, Chemipure blue in the bottom section. Actually, received the 2nd batch of algae (had to try again) last Wednesday for installation, and tank crashed Friday night. Lost most of my fish and shrimp. Really bummed. Still trying to decipher the cause, but guessing the ball of algae limited the flow thru the chambers and backed up causing an ammonia spike. Probably the area is too small for algae. The fish and critters were fine before adding the algae (or so it seemed). The algae was mostly white Saturday morning (red pom pom and chaeto) and very compacted (mush like). Ended up being an expensive experiment. Ugh.

Hope you can have better results than what i had for the chaeto addition. Still would like to find a way to make it work without adding an addon component and welcome the thoughts/ideas. Always fun to learn more.
Stop using chemipure for such a new tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back