12g Left Corner.jpg

12g Right Corner.jpg

12g Partial Top Down.jpg

Some of the Fishes...

Pair of old sparing GBGs (Green Banded Gobies):
GBG Sparring_072318.jpg

A cryptic Hasselt's Flat Head Goby:
Calliogobius hasseltii_072318.jpg

Not much to say about the little natural system except that it's been rock-solid for the last 5 - 6 years. No major changes recently other than the removal of a 6" Setosa colony from up top since it was shading everything below it.

Thanks for viewing!

Ralph.

Last edited:

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an AWESOME update.

I was just going to ask about the Setosa as I was viewing the image :) remembering how I had asked you about it about a year ago.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an AWESOME update.

I was just going to ask about the Setosa as I was viewing the image :) remembering how I had asked you about it about a year ago.

Yeah, Setosa. The biggest problem (other than shading everything below it) is that the skeleton became so dense over the years that it became very difficult to trim anything but the outermost branches.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, really enjoy seeing succession as it is a great inspiration. I've certainly for many years to go before my nano catches up with yours heh.
However we all have to start somewhere I guess.
No doubt it's experience, however is there a secret to having such a clean sand bed. I mean did you just clean it of algae before taking those pictures lol.

A.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...Awesome! You really are an inspiration. I keep reading as I try to replicate it.
If you don't mind to share with us the details of your success. Beautiful tank!

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, really enjoy seeing succession as it is a great inspiration. I've certainly for many years to go before my nano catches up with yours heh.
However we all have to start somewhere I guess.
No doubt it's experience, however is there a secret to having such a clean sand bed. I mean did you just clean it of algae before taking those pictures lol.

A.

I typically take my FTS photos the next day after cleaning. Having the sand bed keep itself clean is often a tricky one. IME, success can be had more easily with a lighter fish load and the resulting smaller feedings. But with six adult nano sized fish in this tank, it's a challenge. I've managed to get it to the point that it'll stay clean for 4-5 days and then start to show just a little bit of the coca-cola colored 'algae' growth.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...Awesome! You really are an inspiration. I keep reading as I try to replicate it.
If you don't mind to share with us the details of your success. Beautiful tank!

Thank you!

'Secrets of success' is usually described as 'patience and stability' in this hobby. My methods and setup are not so unusual, but I'd say having an understanding of the complex biology/chemistry going on in a reef tank is most helpful to achieve a successful outcome. Keep the aquascape 'light and airy' to aid water flow. Don't be afraid to physically disturb the tank on occasion (I clean under the base rocks every month or two and create a 'mini-cyclone' with a turkey baster weekly to stir up detritus). I also gravel vac the substrate weekly with the water change. This type of disturbance happens in nature more often than we've been lead to believe and most corals are adapted to handle it (not counting hurricanes/typhoons, of course!). Keep a dense coral cover to absorb nutrients and make it difficult for algae to get a foot-hold. Severely limit the number of fish when a tank is new, then add more slowly (if desired) as the system matures. Too many fish, too soon, is a common mistake and produces too many nutrients for a new system to effective handle (but algae will like it!).

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back