Nano tank mechanical filtration

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a 14 gallon nano, and currently my only filtration is a Aqueon QuietFlow Power Filter. The tank is running fine, but I would like to add some mechanical filtration to the mix. Does any one have any suggestions on how I should go about this? I see some cannisters have mechanical filtration. I was trying to see if I could find an over the side power filter with a sock, but have not been having any luck. Or Maybe am I going for overkill? IS the floss in the power filter enough?

Thanks

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some companies make protein skimmers that are geared towards Nano tanks. I have a Coralife and a Macro Aqua Skimmer running a 5 and 10 gallon tank respectively.
They work well, however, the best thing to do is a weekly water change, in my opinion!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your tank doesn't have any back compartments or a sump I'm guessing?

If you use floss it needs to be changed very regularly,the idea is to remove it before the waste breaks down, which is every 2-3 days, with a hob it will become a pain, but worth doing.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back compartments in both tank, however, only the Coralife fits in the back. The Macro Aqua doesn’t have that big a footprint though.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back compartments in both tank, however, only the Coralife fits in the back. The Macro Aqua doesn’t have that big a footprint though.

ideal then, add floss it removes so much detritus before it becomes an issue, just be sure to change it very regularly, that and water changes will be more than enough.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, floss or other similar filter media aid in removing detritus but need to be replaced often so that nitrate levels don’t escalate out of control.

OP
OP
E

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your tank doesn't have any back compartments or a sump I'm guessing?

If you use floss it needs to be changed very regularly,the idea is to remove it before the waste breaks down, which is every 2-3 days, with a hob it will become a pain, but worth doing.
every 2-3 days does seems like such a pain in the butt.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every 2-3 days does seems like such a pain in the butt.

very easy if the floss is sitting on top of a back compartment etc and when you see what you are removing you soon realise the benefit.
I actually change mine daily, I only feed frozen so the floss gets blocked fairly fast which also slows down the flow.

OP
OP
E

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of going to a cannister (like OASE FiltoSmart 60) so I can get better filtration, and hide some stuff (they have a version that has a spot for a heater).

OP
OP
E

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very easy if the floss is sitting on top of a back compartment etc and when you see what you are removing you soon realise the benefit.
I actually change mine daily, I only feed frozen so the floss gets blocked fairly fast which also slows down the flow.

Its, at least, a very easy and low cost thing for me to try out!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back