Nano-tanks costs and management

NeverBeenEasier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to the community.

I've recently considered maybe starting up an ultra-nano saltwater reef tank. I have a few leftover Kimchi containers that are probably around 1 to 1.5 gallons. If I had to guess the dimensions, diameter is around 8 inches and around 1 to 1.5 feet tall. As you probably have guessed by now, it is cylindrical.

I'm rather limited on money and was wondering how much it would cost to run a bare-minimum reef tank set-up?

I'm completely new to the hobby, but I do have some unrelated experience as I am a proud owner of mantellas in my 25-gallon vivarium set-up.

I assume for a tank like this I would need some lights (special kind? I assume some sort of UV spectrum bulbs), sand, small filter pump (is this required for a tank with live rocks/corals?), a heater?

Any guidance and suggestions would be appreciated. I don't mind the tank being completely empty of inhabitants with only corals, but it would be nice to have maybe a shrimp or two and maybe a fish.

Thanks!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for jar reefs here or pico reefs.
Here's a link for direction.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly better to get a 5 or 10 gallon tank. They are pretty cheap. That way you are not tempted to put any fish or inverts into that teeny tiny tank.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to the community.

I've recently considered maybe starting up an ultra-nano saltwater reef tank. I have a few leftover Kimchi containers that are probably around 1 to 1.5 gallons. If I had to guess the dimensions, diameter is around 8 inches and around 1 to 1.5 feet tall. As you probably have guessed by now, it is cylindrical.

I'm rather limited on money and was wondering how much it would cost to run a bare-minimum reef tank set-up?

I'm completely new to the hobby, but I do have some unrelated experience as I am a proud owner of mantellas in my 25-gallon vivarium set-up.

I assume for a tank like this I would need some lights (special kind? I assume some sort of UV spectrum bulbs), sand, small filter pump (is this required for a tank with live rocks/corals?), a heater?

Any guidance and suggestions would be appreciated. I don't mind the tank being completely empty of inhabitants with only corals, but it would be nice to have maybe a shrimp or two and maybe a fish.

Thanks!
Hmmm I suggest you look into more specifically what you want to create. What you need for this depends to a degree on that but some of these questions I can already answer

If you put corals in saltwater, give them flow, light, and some nutrient source, they will generally grow. Depending on the temp in the room a heater may be optional especially if you have a lid on the container (recommended because evaporation will be oppressive in a tiny container like that). I think you are fine if the coldest it gets is 70ish. You don't need a filter. Especially not with fish. But flow is a must. Lights don't need to be special. A desk lamp will likely grow coral. But people usually go with a bluer light that makes coral colors come out and it looks a bit more "oceany" to us that way. Coral fluorescence happens mostly in the blue section of the spectrum. Violet and UV have very little effect on that comparatively and true UV does nothing but make water appear cloudier.

Stony corals will consume minerals in the water that must either be replenished with dosing or more easily just regular water changes in a tiny tank like that. I just wouldn't.

I recommend zoanthids, ricordea, mushrooms, rock flower anemones, or macroalgaes (saltwater "plants"). All of these will do just fine with regular water changes. They come in every color of the rainbow and are tough as nails. They are hardy to the fast swings that happen in a small tank and are very adaptable to flow (zoanthids should get the most flow IMO). You could add a little anemone shrimp or a crab or something for some movement and interest.

I think you will find this all much easier with a 5 or 10 gallon tank from petco. It won't cost much but will make the other choices easier. Also some really small fish can thrive in there like eviota gobies or shrimp gobies with their partner shrimp.

OP
OP
N

NeverBeenEasier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the responses from everyone!

I am currently eyeing up a 7.5 gallon that I found for relatively cheap on Ebay so I'll try to snag that.

Would one of those ABI 12w Par38 light be sufficient for a tank my size?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back