Naoko wrasse - not swimming/breathing well

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him about three weeks ago, he looked good. Put him in the QT, with copper, until yesterday. He did not seem very active in the qt lately. Moved him in display tank, now he is even more lethargic. His belly front fins are constantly moving at high speed. He does not seem to be breathing or moving his mouth. He can't stay leveled, mostly tail down, I can easily catch him bare handed.

The only thing I see is some discoloration on its side.

Purchased him qwith other three fish, all the other fish doing fine, in the display tank at the moment.

20210516_102957.jpg
20210516_102957.jpg
20210516_102953.jpg

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught him on his side, spitting something.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, EMERGENCY!
Anyways, fish is doing worse, could use some last minute advice... if any.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am replying to myself here, help would be appreciated.

Based on @Humblefish's suggestion on a similar thread, I did a 5 minutes RODI freshwater bath. I can see, under UV light, 3-4 white filament-like organisms, about 1/16 - 1/8 in long.

I dosed Melafix a few hours earlier, QT has copper in it, I also dosed Maracyn Oxy (before the freshwater bath). Fish is still breathing similar to the above video.

Fish belly is now a very dark grey color.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is same as yesterday, moved around a little bit better today. He grabbed a few pellets, seems to be eating. He is, however, struggling to keep balance, and is reaching out to the surface sometimes.

If anyone really cares about giving me some advice, I would appreciate it.

messytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is same as yesterday, moved around a little bit better today. He grabbed a few pellets, seems to be eating. He is, however, struggling to keep balance, and is reaching out to the surface sometimes.

Good luck! I love Naokos, but I've had bad luck with them. They just seem to perish out of nowhere when everything else is doing just fine.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don’t have much advice. Possible
He injured himself? I have lost fairy’s to spooking and slamming into lids or glass.

A methylene blue bath can help with breathing.

CoffBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry to resurrect this old thread but how did your Naoko end up fairing? I have one that has very similar symptoms that I got a week ago… so sad to see him struggle.
Were you able to save it?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like UNWD unfortunately.

CoffBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like UNWD unfortunately.

interesting, mine is swimming tail down with a bent spine, and no visible damage, so I can get on-board with not actually being an injury.
Mine hid for a while and when it finally came out was very thin, and the stomach is dark in coloration… that’s the scariest part. Is still eating but struggles to find the food which does seem odd. It’s almost as if he can’t see properly but knows the food is there.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, mine is swimming tail down with a bent spine, and no visible damage, so I can get on-board with not actually being an injury.
Mine hid for a while and when it finally came out was very thin, and the stomach is dark in coloration… that’s the scariest part. Is still eating but struggles to find the food which does seem odd. It’s almost as if he can’t see properly but knows the food is there.
That sounds like it. I'm sorry. Lost one that way myself.

mchackomi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My naoko's wrasse presented with the exact same symptoms. 3 weeks ago the fish was doing just fine and only today my fish lost significant color and seems to have very slow respirations. Is there any possible treatment for this? This fish also was QT in copper as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back