Nasarius Snails eating Turbo Snail

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to feed the fish in the morning, then I saw three of my nasarius eating one turbo snails, the turbo snail didn't seem to be dying since I saw it last night moving in the glass, maybe it fell off and couldn't get up again? Is this a normal behaviour for nasarius?

IMG_20211020_072738.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it is, and they are carnivores. I have the same issue with my 3rd and 4th gen Trochus snails. Each snail serves a purpose, and I will never say this one is bad for that reason. They are only doing what they were meant to do, clean up the tank. I will likely give away my Nassarius to another reefer as they are good at cleaning up left over food and such, but, I want to keep some other snails that I can't allow to be consumed because they fell over.

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it is, and they are carnivores. I have the same issue with my 3rd and 4th gen Trochus snails. Each snail serves a purpose, and I will never say this one is bad for that reason. They are only doing what they were meant to do, clean up the tank. I will likely give away my Nassarius to another reefer as they are good at cleaning up left over food and such, but, I want to keep some other snails that I can't allow to be consumed because they fell over.
Nassarius aren’t super predators. I have several species that can’t right themselves in there with mine and generally I catch the ones that have fallen before they’re able to eat them. Spiny nerite snails, cerith snails, and margharita snails all coexist fine with my nassarius.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius aren’t super predators. I have several species that can’t right themselves in there with mine and generally I catch the ones that have fallen before they’re able to eat them. Spiny nerite snails, cerith snails, and margharita snails all coexist fine with my nassarius.
I agree, they are not out to only go after snails, but they are super opportunistic.

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those could be whelk
The ones in the picture aren’t. Whelks have a tattoed trunk and a trap door that closes when they retreat into their shell that you can see on the end of their bodies when they are moving. Whelks also have a sort of different shell style. Or at least mud whelks do. Hard to explain without having one in person for me to take a picture of.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why specifically spiny astrea? I've never actually kept those-- only the standard astrea.
Well, they seem to only prefer the rocks (along with ring cowrie) - whereas the trochus love the tank sides and the nassarius the sand bed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back