Naso Tang and "highly oxygenated tank" requirement (?)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in a couple of places that a Naso Tang (Naso Lituratus, in particular) needs "highly oxygenated water."

Wouldn't ANY fish more or less benefit from highly oxygenated water? I'm just curious why Naso Lituratus seems singled-out for this recommendation. All insights welcome. :cool:

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume their natural environment has higher rates of DO. Reef crests, etc. In order for them to thrive, you want to replicate that. They like a lot of water movement. Mine is the only tang that will swim circles around my vortech and surf the entire length of the reef all day long.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in a couple of places that a Naso Tang (Naso Lituratus, in particular) needs "highly oxygenated water."

Wouldn't ANY fish more or less benefit from highly oxygenated water? I'm just curious why Naso Lituratus seems singled-out for this recommendation. All insights welcome. :cool:
Many surgeonfish are very active, graze constantly, and have a high metabolism, all of which increase the demand for oxygen. Some, like the Achilles, have adapted to life in the surge zone, which is both a turbulent and highly oxygenated environment. While any fish will benefit from increased O2, it is a bit more imperative with tangs, given both their metabolic demands and the high flow areas they inhabit.

Back