Naso tang in QT has parasite on fin?

Frenchie112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a juvenile naso tang that has been in quarantine coming up to 3 weeks now. All has been well. He is very active and eating. I am not seeing any flashing or rapid breathing behavior. I have not seen him scratch against rocks.

On his left side, he has a pretty noticeable white spot on his fin. A smaller one at the base of his fin. I think the large one has grown a bit since I have first noticed it. It almost looks like a small grain of sand. I am thinking this could be some sort of isopod parasite? Should I be worried? Could this be a very mild case of ich? I figured if this was ich, he would have more spots on him and the other fish would show signs of it as well.

I am not treating the tank with anything right now. His belly has had the white marks since I got him. None of the other fish in quarantine with him have the same spots.

Can someone please assist in identifying what this thing is? Very appreciated!

Note that the glass has spots on it so the tiny spots that you see on the left side might not be on the fish.

Left side
Naso bad side 1.png

Right side
Naso good side.jpg

Thank you so much in advance!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the white spots cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture?

OP
OP
Frenchie112

Frenchie112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the white spots cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture?

I would say the big one is more cauliflower in texture. It’s very hard for me to get a good look at it because the fish is terrified of me and hides as soon as I come up to the glass.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably lymphocystis. A usually harmless virus. Treat this "condition" with pristine water conditions, high quality foods + vitamins ( I like Beta Glucan as an additive), lower stress as much as possible. More info:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back