Naso tang, Is it fin rotting? Need a help.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which praziquantel product did you end up using? It is the binder/solvent that causes most of the bacterial blooms. I used to pre dissolve prazi in ethanol, but stopped doing that because the blooms were so bad.
You may need to do a series of 25% water changes daily in order to reduce the nutrients causing the bloom.

Jay
Hello Jay,

wanna give an update. So many of my soft corals died eventhough I changed carbon every 2 days. I saved some lps corals by taking them to my friends tank. I really dont know what to do right now, just watching corals to die. the big ones getting affected late. First small ones died. They started to have brown algae on their surfaces.Any help would be nice

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had said, the solvents used with praziquantel can cause problems. However, I'm not a coral expert, so I can't really tell you if the problem with your coral is based on that, or something else. As you probably know - cause and effect are very difficult to determine in reef tanks. The brown algae you are seeing could be from excess nutrients from the solvent, or it could be brown jelly disease. I think you should post a question to the reef section here to see what the coral people think.
Big question though - did your fish do o.k.?

Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had said, the solvents used with praziquantel can cause problems. However, I'm not a coral expert, so I can't really tell you if the problem with your coral is based on that, or something else. As you probably know - cause and effect are very difficult to determine in reef tanks. The brown algae you are seeing could be from excess nutrients from the solvent, or it could be brown jelly disease. I think you should post a question to the reef section here to see what the coral people think.
Big question though - did your fish do o.k.?

Jay
Thanks for the reply Jay,
I agree with you that that problem probably happened because the prazi was solved in solvent based. The reason that corals died I think happened after bacterial bloom that it led no nutrients after bloom. I will defineyelly post on coral section.
the naso died. I took her back to display tank from QT, after couple weeks he was full of ich. Eventhough I took him back to QT he couldnt make it. But I think the problem was ich not flukes. So the result is that to save one life , I killed many of my corals sadly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay,
I agree with you that that problem probably happened because the prazi was solved in solvent based. The reason that corals died I think happened after bacterial bloom that it led no nutrients after bloom. I will defineyelly post on coral section.
the naso died. I took her back to display tank from QT, after couple weeks he was full of ich. Eventhough I took him back to QT he couldnt make it. But I think the problem was ich not flukes. So the result is that to save one life , I killed many of my corals sadly
Sorry to hear that. I never did see clear signs of ich in te videos...

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back