Naso tang, Is it fin rotting? Need a help.

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

hope everybody’s tank doing well.

I got a blonde naso tang from LFS yesterday. The fish was completely looking fine about fins. I checked him in my acclimating box in my DP. All was clear.. however, just a day after in the morning I saw left swimming fin has smth like rot.. and on the right one shaded small white things. I tought he was stressed in the box. So, I released him. I have scoppo tang in my tank he is small and did not chased naso much..

Now, I dont know what to do as Naso not swimming so actively. He prefers to hide. Its his first day in the tank.
should I make a treatment or wait for couple days.?

A1533831-ABBD-44E7-8D04-2BDE15BAE412.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer picture of its tail?

This posts lists some background information that is helpful for us to know about your tank:

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer picture of its tail?

This posts lists some background information that is helpful for us to know about your tank:

Thanks,

Jay
Hello Jay,

first of all thanks for your all the time quick responses. Here are some details according to your thread.
Aquarium parameters:
Type
: Reef
Volume: 90 gallons
Filtration : Reef octo int 2000 PS, filter socks, gfo and zeolit in a one reactor.
lighting: DIY 3wx60 LED + 2 x 39w T5
How long established? : It has been 11 months.
İmage: in a video

Water quality:
Temperature
: 25-25.5 C
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: dont have a test
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PO4: 0.03 ppm
kH: 10
Mg: 1350
Ca : 420
In-depth information:
Have I lost anyfish regarding this problem?
I lost one naso tang during last year, but Idk if it was same disease.
Are any invertebrates affected? No.
Respiration rate? 30 times in 15 sec. 120 per min.
Are affected fish still feeding?
i just added the fish to my tank. His belly seemed empty when I first added him. Today his belly looks fine. But as he is new, he doesnt pick up any pellets or nori.
Video links and pictures;
Video 1

Video 2

Pics.
Also, what I have noticed is that the naso tend to swim always around cleaner shrimp. He seemed he needs a help!
thanks for your help Jay!
If you need more pics, I can upload more.

4ED0277E-C3CA-496D-B055-57B6252D5F7B.jpeg 0492DEDB-7A39-4C3F-94E9-7013B70874F0.jpeg 7676216B-81C7-4958-97E7-7E5E478F33B1.jpeg 0AEC9F04-602A-4943-B44F-72B6CE570789.jpeg

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respiration rate? It changes between 90 bpm to 120 bpm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the extra info! So - the fish is breathing a bit fast, and seems to be posturing for the cleaner shrimp, at least making a half-hearted attempt to do so. Also, the pectoral and caudal fins are a bit cloudy/tattered. I'm wondering - that all could be pointing to flukes. One option would be to treat the tank with Prazipro. It is "mostly" reef safe, it will kill feather dusters and may harm delicate corals. You dose it with your skimmer cup removed and extra aeration in the tank - dose it twice, 7 days apart.

Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the extra info! So - the fish is breathing a bit fast, and seems to be posturing for the cleaner shrimp, at least making a half-hearted attempt to do so. Also, the pectoral and caudal fins are a bit cloudy/tattered. I'm wondering - that all could be pointing to flukes. One option would be to treat the tank with Prazipro. It is "mostly" reef safe, it will kill feather dusters and may harm delicate corals. You dose it with your skimmer cup removed and extra aeration in the tank - dose it twice, 7 days apart.

Jay
Hello Jay,
Thanks again!
In my local market I can not find prazi but I found “aniprazol” i think could be the same thing but I am not an expert on this. Any idea?
I used flatworms exit meds before are they similar?
I have 4 wrasses in my tank; Naoko fairy, Mccokers flasher, 2x Canary wrasse.
1 big feather looking pretty cool!
Should I give a fresh water dip to fish at first?
Thanks for your helps

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,
Thanks again!
In my local market I can not find prazi but I found “aniprazol” i think could be the same thing but I am not an expert on this. Any idea?
I used flatworms exit meds before are they similar?
I have 4 wrasses in my tank; Naoko fairy, Mccokers flasher, 2x Canary wrasse.
1 big feather looking pretty cool!
Should I give a fresh water dip to fish at first?
Thanks for your helps
No Aniprazol is fenbendazole, a different drug with some side effects in certain fish. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip to see if any flukes fall off into the dip bucket. This will also buy you some time. You'll still need to devise a permanent treatment though.

Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Aniprazol is fenbendazole, a different drug with some side effects in certain fish. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip to see if any flukes fall off into the dip bucket. This will also buy you some time. You'll still need to devise a permanent treatment though.

Jay
Thanks Jay,
I am gonna use Ro-DI water, ıs just adjusting the temperature will be ok? Or what else should I do while fw dipping?
I will look for the right drug then!
should I wait couple days before dipping or urgent actions are needed?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use straight RODI water, the pH is unbuffered. I use dechlorinated tap water of the same temperature as the tank. You could mix a little tank water in the RODI just to buffer the pH.
Here is the thing - the FW dip could kill this fish. However, if it does, that means the fish was going to die soon anyway....
Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use straight RODI water, the pH is unbuffered. I use dechlorinated tap water of the same temperature as the tank. You could mix a little tank water in the RODI just to buffer the pH.
Here is the thing - the FW dip could kill this fish. However, if it does, that means the fish was going to die soon anyway....
Jay
Thanks again and again Jay!
Any idea what should be the mixing ratio of dechlorinated tap water and tank water?
I have never done fw dip for any fish before. So I'm concerned.
The latest bpm is around 90. She seemed grazing some rocks.
look forward to hear

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again and again Jay!
Any idea what should be the mixing ratio of dechlorinated tap water and tank water?
I have never done fw dip for any fish before. So I'm concerned.
The latest bpm is around 90. She seemed grazing some rocks.
look forward to hear
And what if I use some water brand which is kown pH around 8? ( to take urgent actions )

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater with a pH around 8 is what you want to use. Move the fish into the water for 5 minutes, then return it to the tank. Keep the lights dim and the container covered so the fish doesn’t jump out. Make sure you don’t have any gravel or anything in the net when you move the fish to the dip - you want it to be just the fish and clean water. After the dip examine the bottom of the container to see if there are any dead flukes there. Some look like tiny worms, others look like fish scales. Good luck!
Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater with a pH around 8 is what you want to use. Move the fish into the water for 5 minutes, then return it to the tank. Keep the lights dim and the container covered so the fish doesn’t jump out. Make sure you don’t have any gravel or anything in the net when you move the fish to the dip - you want it to be just the fish and clean water. After the dip examine the bottom of the container to see if there are any dead flukes there. Some look like tiny worms, others look like fish scales. Good luck!
Jay
Hello Jay,

luckly I have done my first fw dipping experience without any issue. Thanks for your assist.
here are some pictures of what I saw after dipping

Attachments

• B32C3339-2FF6-4056-875F-FAC90144F530.jpeg
    B32C3339-2FF6-4056-875F-FAC90144F530.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 47CBE6A2-5D1F-430C-BFEC-AAD217A0071D.jpeg
    47CBE6A2-5D1F-430C-BFEC-AAD217A0071D.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 79
  • EA0913D2-D891-4603-9461-D8B44309282E.jpeg
    EA0913D2-D891-4603-9461-D8B44309282E.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

luckly I have done my first fw dipping experience without any issue. Thanks for your assist.
here are some pictures of what I saw after dipping
I also found praziquantel in local market, one pill has 250 mg praziquantel, the names are first one guadreks and second tenikur.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found praziquantel in local market, one pill has 250 mg praziquantel, the names are first one guadreks and second tenikur.
That doesn’t look like a fluke, more like a copepod. It might be incidental, just got caught up with the fish, but there are some parasitic copepods. Did you see just the one?
I’m really sorry, I can’t comment on those meds as I’m unfamiliar with those brand names.
Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He
That doesn’t look like a fluke, more like a copepod. It might be incidental, just got caught up with the fish, but there are some parasitic copepods. Did you see just the one?
I’m really sorry, I can’t comment on those meds as I’m unfamiliar with those brand names.
Jay
Hello Jay,
Thats right it looks like a capepod. There were many, and there were some other things too, the fins looks slightly more clear then before. The bmp was 80 when he was asleep.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are tricky to treat - the one compound used is pretty toxic to fish and people. Formalin dips work, but then, you need to put the fish back into the tank...

Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are tricky to treat - the one compound used is pretty toxic to fish and people. Formalin dips work, but then, you need to put the fish back into the tank...

Jay
Thanks Jay, have you tried formalin dips before?
should I try second fw dips next week and take a clear look again? actually while in fw dips, the naso was quite ok. She was swimming around after a short shock. I’m curious if somehow some saltwater leak in to my cup.
Eventhough I have been doing this hobby I have never treated any fish so far.
ı’m glad for your assistance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dips work well, but getting the formalin to use is tricky, and of course, you need to handle it with care. You need full strength formalin, not buffeted formalin. The dose is 150 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration. Before going down that road I think you should try another freshwater dip in two days and then let me know if you find copepods the second time.
Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dips work well, but getting the formalin to use is tricky, and of course, you need to handle it with care. You need full strength formalin, not buffeted formalin. The dose is 150 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration. Before going down that road I think you should try another freshwater dip in two days and then let me know if you find copepods the second time.
Jay
Great help from you Jay! I believe this thread will help some people too. On Friday, I will do the second dip and will definetelly let you know.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back