Naso Tang - pop eye

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, my beloved Naso Tang has one eye popped out. I can't see any damage to the eye itself, lense looks good and it appears that he can see as he's not running into the rock work or tank, it's just bulging out of his head. I did a search on the forum and it looks like the consensus is if water quality is good then just leave the fish alone and don't use any medicines to treat it.

So this post is just to check to see if the best course of action is not do anything or if there's newer information regarding treatment that I may not be aware of.

Thanks

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, just leave him be. As long as your water is ok, it will take care of itself.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I ran two sets of test today to make sure the water is good and it seems to be excellent. Ammonia, Nitrates and Phosphates are undetectable and ALK, CA and MG are within their normal range.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed he recovers, he's the coolest fish in the tank and would hate to lose him

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, the eye is looking much better! it's almost completely popped back in his head so I think by next week he'll be back to normal.

Thanks for the sound advice to do nothing vs. the natural thought process of my LFS to start treating with lots of chemical$$$ to try and solve the problem immediately.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, the eye is looking much better! it's almost completely popped back in his head so I think by next week he'll be back to normal.

Thanks for the sound advice to do nothing vs. the natural thought process of my LFS to start treating with lots of chemical$$$ to try and solve the problem immediately.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so to finally close out this story last night I looked and his eye has fully returned to it's socket and looks like there is no lasting damage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back