Naso Tang Skin peeling off

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and @Jay Hemdal
This is not an emergency as my fish has already died. I noticed an anomaly Thursday night in which I noticed my blonde Naso tang skin started peeling and flapping in the wind. She was eating fine up to this point. I got home on Friday afternoon and saw what is in the pictures below. At this point she didn’t eat her afternoon feeding.
9256D8B7-1E93-473E-931C-7FC10A2E8BCB.jpeg
9509F0DF-A8F4-4268-9CA2-C9C3C9F7DA5F.jpeg
12BEFBF1-C1B8-4BAE-84B5-10AAA697CB19.jpeg
I did have a lot of particulate in the water at this time due running 4 wav pumps at 100% for 5 mins to kick up stuff from dead spots. My tank has been set up since November of last year. My water parameters were checked last Saturday with no issues noted except phosphate at .31. I reduced amount of feedings to curb this issue. Right now I have no corals as of yet and tank is currently a fowlr. My Naso tang has been in the tank Since 7/6 and no issues until Thursday. I perform H202 dosing currently on the tank since January because I can’t catch my regal tang that has either flukes or ich or velvet. Hard to tell symptoms pop up every 10 days or so. But I’m not here about here stubborn but or my lack of good decisions. My curiosity is about my young Naso tang. I will be ordering a dna test from micro biomics next week.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's a serious condition. Did you by chance test your ammonia level? Looks similar to a chemical peel. No other fish in the tank with similar condition? What are the symptoms you see on the regal?

I'm sure you want to be sure the tank is safe before the new fish arrives. Perhaps someone will have an idea if you can share as much info as possible about the tank and the tang (sounds like the name of a book or a B grade movie, sorry I digress).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and @Jay Hemdal
This is not an emergency as my fish has already died. I noticed an anomaly Thursday night in which I noticed my blonde Naso tang skin started peeling and flapping in the wind. She was eating fine up to this point. I got home on Friday afternoon and saw what is in the pictures below. At this point she didn’t eat her afternoon feeding.
9256D8B7-1E93-473E-931C-7FC10A2E8BCB.jpeg
9509F0DF-A8F4-4268-9CA2-C9C3C9F7DA5F.jpeg
12BEFBF1-C1B8-4BAE-84B5-10AAA697CB19.jpeg
I did have a lot of particulate in the water at this time due running 4 wav pumps at 100% for 5 mins to kick up stuff from dead spots. My tank has been set up since November of last year. My water parameters were checked last Saturday with no issues noted except phosphate at .31. I reduced amount of feedings to curb this issue. Right now I have no corals as of yet and tank is currently a fowlr. My Naso tang has been in the tank Since 7/6 and no issues until Thursday. I perform H202 dosing currently on the tank since January because I can’t catch my regal tang that has either flukes or ich or velvet. Hard to tell symptoms pop up every 10 days or so. But I’m not here about here stubborn but or my lack of good decisions. My curiosity is about my young Naso tang. I will be ordering a dna test from micro biomics next week.

Sorry to hear the naso died. This looks like it could be a systemic bacterial infection. It doesn't seem to be ich, velvet or Brooklynella. I'm seeing a LOT of issues with recently acquired blonde naso tangs - many people are losing them. I don't know why, but they seem to be coming into the country in really poor shape. I suspect these are coming from Indonesia, but I can't be certain. Indonesia has a long history of poor quality fish from some exporters there. Blonde naso also come from the Red Sea and East Africa - those should be better quality.

As @threebuoys said, whenever you have a new fish die, from a reason that is unknown, you'll want to put a pause on adding any new fish, just in case the naso brought in something contagious. Quarantining all new fish is always best, buying pre quarantined fish is second best.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back