Nassarius snail acting strange

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up this morning to find one of my nassarius snails acting strange. I have 2 of them living in my new tank. Still have nothing stocked yet other than a few snails and a small coral which i've been spot feeding reef roids. Normally I see my nassarius snails coming out to eat things on the sand at night, but last night I saw the two of them huddled together near the back of the tank. This morning I found on sitting out on the sandbed and I thought he was dead since he was sitting strangely. I tried to reposition him by turning him on his side and he kind of just sat there. I'm thinking he might be on his way out, but I'm not sure. Maybe he's just starving, since after I squirted a little more reef roids near him he kind of perked up a bit and moved along the sand probably looking for food. He seems alive, but is this normal behaviour? Should I be worried that its going to die soon or could something else be going on?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. If you think it's dying take it out of the water and smell it. If it smells like death take it out, if not, put it back in.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing, but hungry seems like a good guess.
They also could have been getting busy ;)

they are drawn to death though, so one hovering over the other could be that it senses it's not doing well.
No fish, so no fish waste and no excess fish food for them to eat. Why not toss in a few pellets with the flow off, let them sink, and see if they go after it?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing, but hungry seems like a good guess.
They also could have been getting busy ;)

they are drawn to death though, so one hovering over the other could be that it senses it's not doing well.
No fish, so no fish waste and no excess fish food for them to eat. Why not toss in a few pellets with the flow off, let them sink, and see if they go after it?
+1 on pellets, they will be able to find pellets better than the roids.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my tank developed bryopsis after cycling due to old live rock so maybe the fluconazole treatment I've administered has something to do with it possibly

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back