Nasty case of red cyano and my battle

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of history
I have a 72 inch bowl front, with a total volume of 80 gallons of water. I have been messing with red cyanobacteria for the past year. I have treated the tank twice now, once with a different product and now with Chemi-Clean Pro liquid.
My questions:
  • I am about at 32 hours, and I still have Cyano in the tank. Do I add more Chemi-Clean order why wait the 48 hours, do the water change, and retreat?
  • Or do I wait the 48 hours and not to the water change in retreat?
Thank you for your input

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of flow in the tank, the cyano has been able ongoing issue for a year.
Why is there cyano? I had a bad case of it, but I was overfeeding my anthias and had high PO4. It was really not simply high PO4, but imbalanced NO3 along with it.
+1 to the powder ChemiClean. Works well.
Definitely just wait it out, then do a water change and see where you are. If the cyano is still all over, then I would repeat the treatment, but I wouldn't add the ChemiClean again straight away unless the cyano is still all over the place. You will see the cyano really start to die off in the last 12 hours, so keep the tank oxygenated (I just took the lid off my skimmer and let it run to oxygenate the water). I wouldn't add more ChemiClean right away because of the lack of oxygen in the tank that you get. Give your tank time to recover then do it again....

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is fueling it?
Good question, having it in the system my nutrient numbers are off. I would say that I never really got it in the first place totally, and I is coming back

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try out the powder version of chemiclean?
I have used the powdered version before and wanted to give the liquid a try.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, having it in the system my nutrient numbers are off. I would say that I never really got it in the first place totally, and I is coming back
so odd. my numbers have been up and down all year( some would faint), but I rarely get the cyano. so weird..

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there cyano? I had a bad case of it, but I was overfeeding my anthias and had high PO4. It was really not simply high PO4, but imbalanced NO3 along with it.
+1 to the powder ChemiClean. Works well.
Definitely just wait it out, then do a water change and see where you are. If the cyano is still all over, then I would repeat the treatment, but I wouldn't add the ChemiClean again straight away unless the cyano is still all over the place. You will see the cyano really start to die off in the last 12 hours, so keep the tank oxygenated (I just took the lid off my skimmer and let it run to oxygenate the water). I wouldn't add more ChemiClean right away because of the lack of oxygen in the tank that you get. Give your tank time to recover then do it again....
I have had about a %50 die off, just not all. I am pumping air into the system with a air pump. Here is a picture
IMG_4605.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so odd. my numbers have been up and down all year( some would faint), but I rarely get the cyano. so weird..
I usually run when there is not cyano present, .02 phosphates, and .08 nitrates.

I am also thinking it could be my water here adding to the problem. I just put in two active carbon filter and silica buster resin into the Ro/DI and I am going to change out the RO membrane this weekend.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated, figuring out what is causing it, is the question.

The tank is healthy, and to corals are growing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated, figuring out what is causing it, is the question.

The tank is healthy, and to corals are growing.
Tanks are sooo confounding at times.

:oops:my .25 Po4 should be a problem........Why doesn't my cyano like my .25;Cyclops The corals dont seem to mind.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and you verified it's cyano with hydrogen peroxide? In my experience, Chemiclean does not work against cyano. But it works great against spirulina... which to the naked eye can look absolutely identical to cyano. Only being able to distinguish them apart under a microscope. I had a problem with cyano during my tank cycle. I wiped it out with a hydrogen peroxide dosing regiment. A couple of weeks later it came back. So I dosed again with hydrogen peroxide and it didn't touch it. I finally figured out that it was most likely spirulina... so I tried Chemiclean and it wiped it out in two days.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are sooo confounding at times.

:oops:my .25 Po4 should be a problem........Why doesn't my cyano like my .25;Cyclops The corals dont seem to mind.
I have read were systems have Po4's even higher and N03's in the 80's and the systems are spotless. It is finding a balance is the interesting part.;Smilie

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and you verified it's cyano with hydrogen peroxide? In my experience, Chemiclean does not work against cyano. But it works great against spirulina... which to the naked eye can look absolutely identical to cyano. Only being able to distinguish them apart under a microscope. I had a problem with cyano during my tank cycle. I wiped it out with a hydrogen peroxide dosing regiment. A couple of weeks later it came back. So I dosed again with hydrogen peroxide and it didn't touch it. I finally figured out that it was most likely spirulina... so I tried Chemiclean and it wiped it out in two days.
I tried the H2O2 last summer, no results. Tried Vibrent, it only got worse. Then tried Red slime remover around December 16, wiped it out, then back mid February. Did another dose of red slime remover, and it pretty much got it but not all. Spent ;Greedy on Zeovit products and really no results. I figured I would try the chemi-clean pro liquid, then after treatment go back to the zeovit products and see what happens long term.

Back