Nasty Crack in Aquarium ⚠️ Help :(

sapphireminer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 2 now, and I have been paralyzed in fear...so I know that I'm just a sitting duck here. I woke up Thursday morning and saw a nasty crack in the bottom front left corner of my JBJ 15 gal nano. It has not spread, and it is not leaking. No idea why it cracked, but it has been set up since February with no change. JBJ is covering it under warranty and sending me a replacement, but what do I do in the meantime? Slather in silicone and wait it out? Put everything in a Rubbermaid?

I don't even know when the replacement tank will arrive, and I am leaving the country for two weeks on 9/29 to make matters worse. Now I might have to scramble to get a service to reset all of this up for me while I am away. $%@#!

tempImageeGbuFK.png tempImageNriC3r.png tempImageElEHJf.png

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
home depot brute trash can 20g, move everything over except sand, wait for replacement.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a hospital/quarantine tank, the 20 gallon can be used for that in the future. Depending on how many fish you have, you could get away with a 10 gallon.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 2 now, and I have been paralyzed in fear...so I know that I'm just a sitting duck here. I woke up Thursday morning and saw a nasty crack in the bottom front left corner of my JBJ 15 gal nano. It has not spread, and it is not leaking. No idea why it cracked, but it has been set up since February with no change. JBJ is covering it under warranty and sending me a replacement, but what do I do in the meantime? Slather in silicone and wait it out? Put everything in a Rubbermaid?

I don't even know when the replacement tank will arrive, and I am leaving the country for two weeks on 9/29 to make matters worse. Now I might have to scramble to get a service to reset all of this up for me while I am away. $%@#!

As stated by a fellow reefer. I would definitely buy a tank to house your stuff in before it gets worse. As far as sand and bacteria, I would add fresh sand and add extra bacteria to the water to control nitrates and ammonia. IMO, your liverocks should have plenty of bacteria on them to balance everything back out without major fluctuation and using atleast half of your existing water so it's not a complete change in parameters.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flex seal tape the corner. If you are really worried about it epoxy a 6"x6" piece of glass over that cracked corner. 15x15 cube doesn't have a lot of water pressure on it.

OP
OP
sapphireminer

sapphireminer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 10g at Petco and finished transferring everything minus half the sand. Everyone seems okay...this will be their home for the next 2 weeks until I get back to do another transfer.

OP
OP
sapphireminer

sapphireminer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a big bag of Purigen and GFO...fingers crossed, but there was not a lot of detritus stirred up and the water is pretty clear. Ammo registering 0 right now on my API.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

this is tructural and needs to be emptied ASAP.
A new tank will be under $50 or look at craigslist and facebook marketplace in your area- You may find a replacement tank for a steal

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back