native rocks

tempestpeacock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many set ups in the uk of native marine life using limestone rocks such as the kind that are all over the beaches. I have also visited a local aquarium where amongst the displays was a warmer water set up that had large local grey limestone as the base rock with sensitive fish and inverts..

What is it that stops this being used in display tanks? I can not see one on the image search. It is much better for aquascaping purposes. Is it a fashion thing, or because of the filtration pluses with regular live rock?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many set ups in the uk of native marine life using limestone rocks such as the kind that are all over the beaches. I have also visited a local aquarium where amongst the displays was a warmer water set up that had large local grey limestone as the base rock with sensitive fish and inverts..

What is it that stops this being used in display tanks? I can not see one on the image search. It is much better for aquascaping purposes. Is it a fashion thing, or because of the filtration pluses with regular live rock?

Welcome to reef2reef!

Good question and it's brought up quite frequently.

The reason that taking rock from ocean beaches or close to the shore is contaminants. These rocks are subjected to what comes on shore pollution wise. They can soak up these contaminants and when used in our tanks, release them into our water.

Dry rock is mined from ancient coral beds, mostly aragonite and are cleaned to remove contaminants.

Live rock taken from the ocean is harvested miles of the coasts.

Terrestrial rock can be used, but come with the same issues of contaminants and if it's not limestone and cleaned properly, can leach heavy metals, fertilizers.........most hobbyist avoid terrestrial rock for these reasons.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
tempestpeacock

tempestpeacock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that. so the public aquarium that use them must go through some extensive curing/ sterilisation then?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back