Natural Amphipod Predator? (That wont carpet surf)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any fish WILL NOT eat them. Theyre generally too big for mandarins and drogonettes. Coral babded shrimp Occassionally eat them.
What will eat them are the following wrasses:
Six Line, Four Line, Lemon Meringue, Leopard Wrasse
Do you know if these guys are known to eat pods?
Lfs has one as well as baby six line and a leopard wrasse right now.
This is by far the prettiest one:)

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 31

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris gaimard will chow down on all pods, and they constantly hunt. Just be aware that they get quite large (a foot plus).

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris gaimard will chow down on all pods, and they constantly hunt. Just be aware that they get quite large (a foot plus).
Thank you hes about half inch right now. Super tiny guy and beautiful little fish. Looks super healthy and was already picking at the rocks at lfs

Out of curiosity how big will 6line and leopard wrasse get?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you hes about half inch right now. Super tiny guy and beautiful little fish. Looks super healthy and was already picking at the rocks at lfs

Out of curiosity how big will 6line and leopard wrasse get?
3-4" and 5 or so", respectively.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You dont want this fish. It becomes even more beautiful but will flip your coral. pull frags and just disassemble your aquascape. They'll eat pods though. Most all wrasses including 6 line will eat pods.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want this fish. It becomes even more beautiful but will flip your coral. pull frags and just disassemble your aquascape. They'll eat pods though. Most all wrasses including 6 line will eat pods.
Well I just totally blew that one! Lfs is about a mile and ran out and grabbed it before you responded. Luckily I have a whole sump full of critters for it to munch on if it becomes an issue.
Such a beautiful fish I hope it does ok for me!
They had a tiny 6 line about the same size i probably should have just gotten it!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet grab,

I would just have a stern talk now and tell him to behave ;)

Hopefully he will not be a problem. I am also a bit biased because I do not like 6 line. Just not a fan. Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet grab,

I would just have a stern talk now and tell him to behave ;)

Hopefully he will not be a problem. I am also a bit biased because I do not like 6 line. Just not a fan. Let us know how it goes.
Will do. Man I hope I didn't just blow it too bad. Do have the sump freed up. They did also have a leopard wrasse a little bigger than this guy.
Agreed the 6 line and leapord just look kinda plain next to these guys.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No such thing as a fish that won't jump, except seahorses. Large seahorses will eat pods, but unfortunately aren't very good in reefs, mostly for the sake of the seahorse. Very poor swimmers, vulnerable to stinging corals and to bacteiral infections.

I had amphipods chew part of the skirt off a small RFA, too. They can be bold. RFAs have really weak stings, so the poor things can't defend themselves.

Get a lid, and anything with a mouth big enough to eat amphipods. Circus gobies are nocturnal and like to lurk in crevices, so are ideal. A Hasselt's goby will eat amphipods with gusto, but may also eat your other microfauna down to very low levels.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s an older thread, but curious as to how this turned out... I too have pods eating/irritating a RFM. I have a big one they don’t touch, but the new baby RFM is bothered constantly no matter where I move it to. I’ve got 2 clowns, a tailspot blenny, and fire shrimp currently housed in the tank... I’ve maybe ONCE seen a clown eat a pod. I don’t want a sixline bc I heard they can be bullies, but if that’s what I gotta do... any suggestions?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s an older thread, but curious as to how this turned out... I too have pods eating/irritating a RFM. I have a big one they don’t touch, but the new baby RFM is bothered constantly no matter where I move it to. I’ve got 2 clowns, a tailspot blenny, and fire shrimp currently housed in the tank... I’ve maybe ONCE seen a clown eat a pod. I don’t want a sixline bc I heard they can be bullies, but if that’s what I gotta do... any suggestions?
I recently lost my wrasse in a major clean up event and didnt see him jump! Loved that wrasse! He worked out great and exactly as everyone said it would. Soon as it hit the water it was on pod patrol. Could see them scurry as he approached and he'd snatch them out of water column. It was cool when he would catch an adult he would shake them against the rock like a dog shaking a toy and eat the pieces lol.
When the lights came on I could see them climbing on my overflow screens to get out of water.
Mine was peaceful. Made best friends with my juvenile tomini tang. Didnt bother my hermits or snails. Model citizen really.
Have you looked at leopard wrasse or any others? The 6 lines do get pretty.
All the wrasse get super pretty if I could id probably do an all wrasse tank. I will defientely be getting more when I can cover my tank. He was perfectly fine and content he had all the pods in the world and was fat and happy but got stressed and decided to surf. Was pretty bummed.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are suggesting wrasse but all wrasse are jumpers. Mine bounce off the lid fairly frequently.

I would try springer damsels... I have one and he doesn't ping pong off the lid like wrasse.

Ofc the easiest approach is to just make a lid :)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are suggesting wrasse but all wrasse are jumpers. Mine bounce off the lid fairly frequently.

I would try springer damsels... I have one and he doesn't ping pong off the lid like wrasse.

Ofc the easiest approach is to just make a lid :)
See mine was perfectly peaceful and content in my shallow water table. Didnt go to surface until I feed the table and even then it was rare to see him at surface.
He didn't get stressed until I chemicleaned my system and filled his table with bubbles. I should of known better either way.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See mine was perfectly peaceful and content in my shallow water table. Didnt go to surface until I feed the table and even then it was rare to see him at surface.
He didn't get stressed until I chemicleaned my system and filled his table with bubbles. I should of known better either way.

Ya but that is the point, something changes or spooks them and they become a french fry. It could be a cat, dog, child, visitor, something quick moving, or they don't notice someone coming, plumbers, remodeling, moving furniture, adding corals, failed ATO that causes the pump to get low and send bubbles in the tank, a storm, a power outage... anything that they may decide is scary... and zoom!

I lost a firefish when the power suddenly went out... it panicked and dove straight into my bubble tip... poor thing wasn't watching where he was going.

They live fairly long lives but most probably find the ground in an open top before they die of old age.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but that is the point, something changes or spooks them and they become a french fry. It could be a cat, dog, child, visitor, something quick moving, or they don't notice someone coming, plumbers, remodeling, moving furniture, adding corals, failed ATO that causes the pump to get low and send bubbles in the tank, a storm, a power outage... anything that they may decide is scary... and zoom!

I lost a firefish when the power suddenly went out... it panicked and dove straight into my bubble tip... poor thing wasn't watching where he was going.

They live fairly long lives but most probably find the ground in an open top before they die of old age.
For sure I knew I was risking it and paid the price. Since he went carpet surfing ive taken all my fish out of tables and put in 65 gallon fish only sump. Defientely not taking anymore chances only takes once.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octo Aquatics makes nice lids if you want a nice looking custom one :) Also BRS sells black netting that won't reflect the light and is a lot cleaner looking then the clear stuff.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octo Aquatics makes nice lids if you want a nice looking custom one :) Also BRS sells black netting that won't reflect the light and is a lot cleaner looking then the clear stuff.
I need to check out the black netting. Thinking about upgrading my tables to 40 gallon breeders for more depth. I want to put fish in tables and enjoy them. Especially wrasse. Beuatiful fish. I know I will have to cover them. Thanks for the heads up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to check out the black netting. Thinking about upgrading my tables to 40 gallon breeders for more depth. I want to put fish in tables and enjoy them. Especially wrasse. Beuatiful fish. I know I will have to cover them. Thanks for the heads up.

I love wrasse :) I have many and want a larger tank so I can have MORE! :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back