BRS
Maxout

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wouldn't use a skimmer or dose carbon.

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Do you run your tank naturally or do you dose carbons.
I consider protein skimmer natural. All it uses is air.

I get the feeling that you mean 'GAC' (Granular Activated Carbon), as opposed to 'carbon dosing'?

Haven't used either GAC or a Skimmer in over 30 years or so.

Used carbon dosing (vinegar) once to reduce 50+ppm NO3, but the side effects in my system were less than pleasant (won't be trying that again)...

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ive done bio pellets, liquid carbon dosing, and natural. Current tank is natural and what I prefer. Getting into ULNS territory and maintaining adequate nutrients for corals not to bleach or die is a tight rope walk. I run Phosguard to limit phos and silicate and easier and simpler to manage With a protein skimmer. I’m experimenting with Dr. Tims Waste-Away but it’s not a carbon product but is good bacteria strains.

Fritz

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I didn’t have a dead whale so I sank a 5 pound pot roast to the bottom of my tank.
The natural way to carbon dose
A big nitrogen dose too so kind of counter productive. I run sulfur reactor in one kind of similar to how it works. You have to ask yourself do you even need to dose anything first.

OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well , I do run a skimmer probly don't need it but bubbles bubbles bubbles. Algae turf scubber . And charcoal in a reactor . YES I HAVE ULN. I run below .01 ppm phosphate my test kit for nitrate api yellow every time. No bleaching of corals . My exenia has split 3 times in two months. Montiporas doing well.
As far as additives i run seachem products calcium and reef builder for alkalinity. And amino acids with trace. No water changes.

Dan_P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Do you run your tank naturally or do you dose carbons.
I consider protein skimmer natural. All it uses is air.
An aquarium by definition is an artificial environment. It does not and cannot resemble a natural environment. What does it matter that a water purification method is ”natural”. Besides, ”natural” is personal preference not a rigorous definition.

AS

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I find carbon dosing to be useful in relatively new systems (less than 1 year) when it can be a struggle to gain stability. Beyond that I go "au naturale".

BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 122 47.8%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 82 32.2%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.9%