Natural Sea Water Or Salt Mix?

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So im in the process of setting up my new tank, A Waterbox Frag 145. Has anyone got any experience using natural sea water instead of salt mix?
On my last tank i used salt mix but i have a few companies near me that actually collect and filter sea water and deliver for reef aquariums. So debating to go with that and save on my waterbill!

I do have a RODI unit coming anyway for my top off.

If getting it delivered i would also plan on keeping maybe a months worth of water in storage bins, however my garage gets pretty toasty being in Australia. Can this effect the water parameters?

Any information would be appreicated..

Thanks

Kial

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with sea water is the source. If it is in a harbor, it might have pollutants from shore runoff or boats or fuel and so on. I would guess that the delivery service probably has a record of none reliability or lack there of. I would think if you keep the water in a large food safe covered container with a small powerhead that it should be fine.

If you go with mixed sea water, you need an RODI system and I check my mixed sea water for ALK after mixing because sometimes it is out of whack and needs adjusting. I like the control that mixing my own gives me.

But carefully collected sea water should be fine.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kial, I think that given the option, most people trying to keep a piece of the ocean in their home would prefer natural sea water if it were readily available and had suitable parameters. I would have it tested and see if it matches your desires and go from there.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. Would it be worth chucking a bag of carbon in the storage container just incase there were any contaminants? I reckon they would probably have a system in place with their filtering systems anyway but ill be sure to ask.

Another question i have.. I would probably have a salt mix on hand anyway that i could mix up if i didnt have any NSW available. But could this throw everything off within the tank as obviously the parameters could be really different between the 2.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some peeps on this forum mention that they use sea water in their tanks, so it can be done, but of course you need to know the spot to harvest safe clean water

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4CFBB50B-0B39-4073-94F8-9D1243E0CBF4.jpeg
80F2036B-6F34-48D4-8500-13F4180D1E48.jpeg
9EB0D02F-1165-4CA5-97B2-60CA8B6930B9.jpeg

Here in south Florida many use NSW. I myself have been using NSW for over 30 years. This collection site is where most including some large trucks collect and deliver. Calmer days on high tide are best. Some hobbyist use raw seawater with no filtration, I collect through this device I made which incorporates a bilge pump inside a Reduced 4” T. Both ends are fitted with a 120 micron cloth. Previously, I tried a 53 micron cloth but it was too restricting and the pump would cavitate. If you zoom in on the cloth you can see what I didn’t collect. Nowadays, you never know, contaminants, micro plastics, and definitely microfauna and larvae of who knows what. The rest is all good and ready for immediate use. I store 90 gallons in a plastic tank in the A/C, with a power head to keep it moving. Don’t like the idea of keeping it outdoors. We have sweltering temperatures here too!

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4CFBB50B-0B39-4073-94F8-9D1243E0CBF4.jpeg
80F2036B-6F34-48D4-8500-13F4180D1E48.jpeg
9EB0D02F-1165-4CA5-97B2-60CA8B6930B9.jpeg

Here in south Florida many use NSW. I myself have been using NSW for over 30 years. This collection site is where most including some large trucks collect and deliver. Calmer days on high tide are best. Some hobbyist use raw seawater with no filtration, I collect through this device I made which incorporates a bilge pump inside a Reduced 4” T. Both ends are fitted with a 120 micron cloth. Previously, I tried a 53 micron cloth but it was too restricting and the pump would cavitate. If you zoom in on the cloth you can see what I didn’t collect. Nowadays, you never know, contaminants, micro plastics, and definitely microfauna and larvae of who knows what. The rest is all good and ready for immediate use. I store 90 gallons in a plastic tank in the A/C, with a power head to keep it moving. Don’t like the idea of keeping it outdoors. We have sweltering temperatures here too!
How long are you storing the 90 gallons for? As mine won't be in any AC I'm sort of worried it will get too warm

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to use it up within 1 month. I also take the tank outside about every 4 months and clean it out. Even with my method of collecting still get some sedimentation on the bottom. Some LFS keep there water tank outside and use it/sell it within a month. I happened to help clean one of these outside tanks one time and it was encrusted with all kinds of creatures and even crabs inside. I have only used my collected water and keep things clean.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So im in the process of setting up my new tank, A Waterbox Frag 145. Has anyone got any experience using natural sea water instead of salt mix?
On my last tank i used salt mix but i have a few companies near me that actually collect and filter sea water and deliver for reef aquariums. So debating to go with that and save on my waterbill!

I do have a RODI unit coming anyway for my top off.

If getting it delivered i would also plan on keeping maybe a months worth of water in storage bins, however my garage gets pretty toasty being in Australia. Can this effect the water parameters?

Any information would be appreicated..

Thanks

Kial
@Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in New York I have been using NSW on and off for 50 years. For the last 4 years I only use NSW as the ocean is behind my home. I just back up to the surf and pump it into vats in my jeep.

If it looks very clear, I just use it in my tank (after I heat it, it is 40 degrees now fahrenheit, )

If like most of the time it has chopped up seaweed and sand in it,I filter it, then heat it. I would not use carbon or do anything to it. It has trace elements that are not in ASW, some we don't even know about and we don't want to remove them.

If you don't use it in a couple of days it may cloud up. That is fine and normal. It is just bacteria settling on the sides of the container where they have an easier time multiplying. They will devour anything organic in the water then die and the water will clear but that cloudiness will not affect your tank.

NSW is the best. I did my first SCUBA dive where you are but on the east coast.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for their input.

I think i am going to go with NSW, Im just going to workout the cost etc as ill be getting it delivered as im living more inland right now. If it works out cheaper/similar to salt mix i think that will be the plan.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back