Natural split vs. frag, what's the difference?

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Recently started getting into this mushroom coral thing. One thing that I've seen is that people will make a point of saying something was a "natural split". I was just curious why that would matter when it comes to the coral?

Thank you in advance.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally i would not care. However if it is a tiny pencil eraser size piece i think a natural split frag would give me more confidence it is a healthy growing frag than if it had just been cut and maybe not all healed.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with what was said before…. Natural cuts are great because you’re getting a piece of the mother shroom, however depending on the size and the type of mushroom I also would prefer natural splits…. They’re just healthier in many cases… I also always ask how long the mushroom was healed for… 2 weeks is fine for most corals I prefer my shrooms be healed for at least 1 month -2 months especially if they’re cuts…

I’ve had a customer receive several cuttings from people that weren’t properly healed and 2/3 for them personally have died, not because of improper care as these people have a mushroom specific tank with tons of nice specimens and take good care of their stuff… one also got traded into the store I used to work at it was a little booger of an OG bounce, obviously freshly cut, 1 month later no growth and on a decline in a tank with other og bounce lol

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back