Naturally curing live rock. What is it and how to do it? |Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Which Curing method do you prefer?

• Bleach Cure

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Natural Cure

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Acid Cure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pressure wash and drop in tank "cure"

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Use Dry Rock so I don't have to cure?

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

Today we've got a short Reef FAQ clip for you and it's all about curing live rock the natural way!

That's right, no bleach, no acid, just good ol' fashioned heated saltwater (and maybe some helpful sludge removing bacteria to speed up the process!) ;)

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefers!

Today we've got a short Reef FAQ clip for you and it's all about curing live rock the natural way!

That's right, no bleach, no acid, just good ol' fashioned heated saltwater (and maybe some helpful sludge removing bacteria to speed up the process!) ;)

SO I SHOULD STICK TO DRY ROCK INSTEAD OF LIVE ROCK? WHAT'S EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THIS? I'VE SEEN MENTIONED 50/50 ETC... SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I HAVE TO USE IT TO INPUT INFO AT WORK LOL...:););Writing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
SO I SHOULD STICK TO DRY ROCK INSTEAD OF LIVE ROCK? WHAT'S EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THIS? I'VE SEEN MENTIONED 50/50 ETC... SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I HAVE TO USE IT TO INPUT INFO AT WORK LOL...:););Writing

I prefer dry rock and let it seed naturally. Once in a while, I will add a loaded live rock that has color and /or organisms on it

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the first batch in 2007 all other live rock has gone straight into the tank.

I will be ordering 175 pounds soon.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer dry rock and let it seed naturally. Once in a while, I will add a loaded live rock that has color and /or organisms on it
Thanks for the reply. So should i buy dry rock to start a tank or live rock? I'm hesitant and don't want any unnecessary issues... LOL

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So should i buy dry rock to start a tank or live rock? I'm hesitant and don't want any unnecessary issues... LOL
A combo of both

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such thing of curing dead rock.
You can clean dead rock contaminated with dead organisms then let it go through the cycle. But you can do that with dog turds too.
I just don't get it.
Using plain old dead rock to seed a reef tank with artificial bacteria some company sells. I truly think a lot of early algae problems occur because you think a tank is cycled after your ammonia levels leave. Then you over stock the tank. Because more than just a few fish will cause the spikes. Because your dead rock isn't even close to holding the nessasarly bacteria to sustain the tank. Then you quit the hobby because your hair algae is never ending. I know all the fears of "real" live rock with hitch hiker pest. But there is nothing better in my opinion than the real live rock cramed full of life for a tank. It might take a bit of research to find the right source to get the best. But it's out there still.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back