Navigating holiday visitors: How do you deal with guests and your fish tank?

How do you deal with guests and your fish tank?

• I share everything about my tank in details

Votes: 54 16.8%
  • I point out the highlights

Votes: 53 16.5%
  • I share my tank if asked

Votes: 206 64.2%
  • I keep the guests away from the tank and avoid related conversations

Votes: 8 2.5%

• Total voters

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy talking about the tank, but mainly just answer their questions.
Friends who are seeing it for the first time usually ask more questions than others.
I love it when they ask “if those plants are real”.
Sometimes someone will ask how big the filter is…..I just open the cabinet and watch their jaw drop when they see the sump. Lol.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly - my visitors usually show polite interest in my tank and I can read the signs that their "wow - how did you build this tank" typically means "nice weather outside, is it?" - i.e. not really interested, just being polite..

As for kids, provided they have their i-things (i-pad, i-phone, i-raq etc), they don't even notice..

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love talking about my reef tank and getting family involved in my hobby! With that being said though, I try and have these conversations outside so that the oxygen levels in my home dont deplete and my Ph isnt sacrificed :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
You could just make them wear SCUBA gear when they come in.

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents love it, dad will watch for hours. He also says he is glad I am taking care of it!
Others see it, look for a few minutes and move on. Almost everyone who comes in the house does check it out because it is right between the kitchen and living room. Everyone thinks it's really cool, no one has any idea what it takes to make it happen.

We did have a family friend tell us ten years later that they always loved seeing what was going on in the tank when they came over so I think most appreciate it in their own way.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no choice, as I have a peninsula tank dividing my living and dining areas. Most of the time, guests ask questions, and I get as detailed or as high-level as they get with their questions. I've been battling dinos/GHA/cyano for a year now. I am on the verge of a teardown, yet the last few guests (large parties during Thanksgiving and smaller groups of relatives just the other day) I've had all commented, "what a beautiful tank!" and started to ask questions about this or that. I was reminded that only a reefer would be disgusted by what we see.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I had a program and my 6g was full of cyano and I was disgusted, but no one thought anything of it. I cleaned it out after the program (vefore the program the next day) and I am much happier, but the people seeing it did not really notice.

Back