OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My halichoeres biocellatus wrasse seems to like nori. He rips it up every singe time.
20181013_134351.jpg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my entry to with the Tunze DOC 9410 Skimmer. I currently only have particulate filters (modded solo cups instead of filter socks) and a aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 skimmer. It was what I used for my 40g breeder, and while the specs say its fine up to 175g, it already fills up quick with my current bioload. I am going to be adding more fish, so I'd love to incorporate a new skimmer, and this would be a pretty good upgrade!
MHEhomw.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my entry to with the Tunze DOC 9410 Skimmer. I currently only have particulate filters (modded solo cups instead of filter socks) and a aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 skimmer. It was what I used for my 40g breeder, and while the specs say its fine up to 175g, it already fills up quick with my current bioload. I am going to be adding more fish, so I'd love to incorporate a new skimmer, and this would be a pretty good upgrade!
MHEhomw.jpg
I liked the Nyos Quantum 160. This one is rated till 1000L and did well on my Reefer 450.
If you want to go more fancy with an adjustable DN-pump, you can check the Deltec, Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped in the local coral farm and they had a nice selection of ORA raised fish, included the newly released lemon damsels. According to ORA and several others, they are about as peaceful as damsels get. He had 3 tanks full and little to no aggression after watching for about 10 mins. So i picked up 3, along with an ORA blue fin watchman and yellow tail damsel. I decided I wanted lots of smaller fish than a couple big brutes. They're about to be dropped in my QT now.

I may do a short QT. He QTs all fish before selling and said these have been clean and cleared for sale for about 3 weeks. May still do profilactic 2 week copper and 2 week prazi just to be sure

20181102_151519.jpg 20181102_151528.jpg 20181102_151533.jpg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be growing really well, but I may have to move a couple corals to a nano tank. I believe my flame angel is nipping most corals in the tank but my long polyp toadstool doesnt seem to want to open, and my zoas have only half opened in the last few weeks. Zoas could be from low nutrient and or too high light. I only have the 5 fish right now and I think the leathers suck up all the nutrients to make it too clean for zoas. I'll experiment with another tank.

Otherwise my euphyllia, lethers and gorgs are growing quick. Even the serviving acro and monti ecrusting leftovers have grown to chucky frag size.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the newer LFS in the area had a sale starting today on new flower anemones he got in for 20% off and only $44 normally, so being the rock flower anemone junkie I am, I went right after work and made out pretty well. He had some really nice morphs I already had, so I picked one I didnt have, but then noticed a single rainbow morph I have only seen for $150 online... insta-buy!
20181116_174421.jpg

He also had a bunch of new ricordea in, which I am also a ricordea Florida junkie, so I took a look. He had 2 of these morphs which are pretty rare. Blue with orange speckled throughout. 20181116_174424.jpg

Not a bad visit for only 100 bucks out the door.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great additions.
Those rock flower anemones are looking pretty.
For that price no one would leave them behind.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on a 15g waterbox cube to house some of the corals that are "not compatible" with my flame angel. Plan is to set up a shelf rock to make a natural frag rack for incomming and out going frags, and house some of the corals my flame angel nips too much where they wont open, mostly zoas and my weeping willow toadstool. It will be a hybrid display/frag tank. I'm going to throw a AI Prime LED on it and call it a day.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... there are not many reefers that can keep it with just one tank.
It is hard to decide what direction and type of corals to go for, especially combined with fish that is not compatible.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... there are not many reefers that can keep it with just one tank.
It is hard to decide what direction and type of corals to go for, especially combined with fish that is not compatible.

I have had as many as 3 tanks running at once in the past. The future 15g is more utilitarian, but I figured why not make it look nice as well.

I love the wheeling willow toadstool, but I think i like the flame angel more. funny thing is I have 2 other toadstools and he bothers neither of those.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing around the the lights trying to find a good setting. Still running front T5s, then Back T5s with no overlap because I have to have my 2 blue channels at 100% or they produce a high pitch whine. Having all 4 T5s and Blues one at the same time is just too much PAR for my coral. I decided the gieseman super actinic and aqua blue special in front was not a good combo, so I ordered a Blue Plus and a Coral Plus to match the back, much better color. But here is my PAR now. I would like to get it a little lower because some of the Zoas and LPS do not like to be blasted so right now, they are under overhangs or shadows.
uqFDv4o.jpg

qGquuDQ.jpg

PDh9SXm.jpg

V3rLdP5.jpg

Obviously its the same pic. I've worked with ATI via email, but they are not sure what could be wrong with the light that makes the high pitch noise. I think I am also super sensitive to high pitch noise, my wife says she can hear it, but its not annoying to her. I got a crazy good deal on the light, so I am going to keep it and deal with what I have.

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your Current eFlux return pump? I am buying equipment for a Reefer 350 build and am overwhelmed by the many many choices for DC return pumps. Thanks!

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your Current eFlux return pump? I am buying equipment for a Reefer 350 build and am overwhelmed by the many many choices for DC return pumps. Thanks!

So far, no complaints! I have never used any other DC pumps so I can't compare to say a Vectra, but its much quieter than my Sicce 2.5 AC pump. Its super quiet... most of the time. Sometimes i hear it, but if I make sure its seated on the bottom glass, it quiets down. I run a really quiet system and can't hear it most days. I've had it for a little less than a year and I am glad I bought it. Nice thing is I don't believe its MAP pricing, so its usually really inexpensive during those sitewide deals.

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, no complaints! I have never used any other DC pumps so I can't compare to say a Vectra, but its much quieter than my Sicce 2.5 AC pump. Its super quiet... most of the time. Sometimes i hear it, but if I make sure its seated on the bottom glass, it quiets down. I run a really quiet system and can't hear it most days. I've had it for a little less than a year and I am glad I bought it. Nice thing is I don't believe its MAP pricing, so its usually really inexpensive during those sitewide deals.

Thanks, I am also considering the AquaMaxx Magnus line as well, great pricing and decent reviews. I also am looking for something very quiet, my tank is in my family room.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time has already come to where I need to frag a few things. The pulsing sinularia, gorgonian and various ricordea will go under the knife along with a few zoas.

I also picked up some Zoas, a blue stag and a purple gorg at a frag swap. I'll be adding them to the DT soon.

My frags will be hanging out in my sump until my 15g fuge display frag tank is fully cycled. I'll probably need to sell frags pretty quick having limit space.

So i had 2 little 1/4" pieces of encrusted yellow tip acro that survived my old tank teardown and now the little spots are turning into multi-branch respectabile frags. Also a forest fire digi nub. As they grow, I'm starting to miss my old acros. There is a growing feeling to frag and sell my leathers and take on some acros again. I may save up the cash from selling. My trimming frags to buy an alktronic monitor then start buying some battle coral battle boxes. I grew tired of constant monitoring but really miss the sense of achievement with colorful acropora.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a lot of fragging done on Sunday. will give it a few more days and cut a few more. hoping they will pay for some future upgrades. Tank was looking good today, so I got a FTS:
20190108_191815.jpg 20190108_191820.jpg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what might be pulling me back into Acros. In April, This little guy hung in through the tank change which included some peroxide baths and scrubbings: (keep in mind, I am growing softies and LPS so I am not providing ideal conditions for Acroporas so I consider this a good resurrection. ) Sold the original colony for $120. I think its a Polleti Yellow Tip Austerus.

June2018

Sept2018

Jan 2018

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great.
The acro pics did not come through I am afraid.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back