OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having issues with my ATI Hybrid. I think there are controller issues. I have been working with ATI on figuring out how to fix, but its tough to pinpoint the problem without buying a bunch of spare parts and hoping one of them fixes the issues. LEDs no longer turn on, but T5s are fine. It's not on their build quailty or support, but on me since I bought it used and for only $800. I took a chance on the great price and turns out its only causing headaches. I have very sensitive ears for high frequency sounds (>16k Hz) and the ATI leds whine like crazy when they are dimmed... at least to me. Drives me crazy and I can hear it from a mile away. the nice thing about high frequency is that it is super easy to attenuate. A cardboard box over the fixture blocked all noise, but cause the unit to overheat. My wife can't hear it and we are both early 30s so its no an age thing. So I have been running only the royal blues at 100% because they don't whine when they are at 100% or less than 15%. With the 4 T5s and the LEDs at 100%, this was too much light anyways.

SOOOO i will be going the WWC/BRS method with slapping 2 Kessil AP700s over this thing along with x2 80w 60" T5s. I like being able to control the main source of light while the T5s are a supporting light. Pretty excited. I ran Kessils on an old nano tank and loved them. sure they are not as powerful as a comparably prices Radion XR30, but I am shooting for the 250-350 par range which these will do easily. The shimmer and color blending alone will make them worth it. I also obsess on the discoball effect so I won't have to worry about that either. The ATI Hybrid still has some disco effect, even with 4 80w T5s.

I plan on trying to fix the ATI Hybrid and either sell for cheap with the notion it had issues, or hang on to it for a future growout system. Stay tuned! I am ordering the Kessils this week and hope to have them over the tank by week's end.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked with ATI and I ended up buying a new control box for the Hybrid Powermodule. I will see if that solves my lighting issue for much much less money than the new lights. I was patient enough to not open the Kessil AP700s to see if the new control box works. If it works, I will return the AP700s and use that money to buy an APEXel and possible the Triton or Alkatronics.

I thought about it and its a good light and not worth the cost to get AP700s if I can fix it for only a couple hundred rather than $1600. I can use that money elsewhere. If the box doesn't fix the problem, I got the okay to return it to ATI and I will hang the AP700s.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked with ATI and I ended up buying a new control box for the Hybrid Powermodule. I will see if that solves my lighting issue for much much less money than the new lights. I was patient enough to not open the Kessil AP700s to see if the new control box works. If it works, I will return the AP700s and use that money to buy an APEXel and possible the Triton or Alkatronics.

I thought about it and its a good light and not worth the cost to get AP700s if I can fix it for only a couple hundred rather than $1600. I can use that money elsewhere. If the box doesn't fix the problem, I got the okay to return it to ATI and I will hang the AP700s.

I hope you can get this ting sorted easily.
Great support from ATI.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new ATI Powermodule control box worked, so I returned the AP700s, and decided to come to the modern age of controllers and bought an ApexEL
20190213_140752.jpg

Also decided to get an ATI ICP kit to test my water and their 2-part (was 50% off with the ICP kit) so im interested in what my water chemistry is like.

Apex is up and running and now im obsessed with power useage, especially with my heater. My old aquacontroller 3 is now on my 15g cube which will become my softie holding tank after I convert my reefer to SPS.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 gallon cube is starting the uglies phase but my test zoas are doing well so i may move some more stuff this weekend. I drilled the rocks to hold frag plugs so I'm excited to fill this thing up.
20190215_085740.jpg

20190215_085736.jpg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test came back with promising results. PO4 and NO3 were practually zero... even tho I feed like crazy. These leathers are hungry beasts.

Iodine was low, as well as some various other metals that I'm not sure are all that important however right around the time I took this sample i started weekly 15g water changes instead of 5 gallons every now and then. I wont make any other changes and see if my low metal #s improve. If not I may look to dose something.

Also bought 2 more acros, decent size green slimer and frogskin. I love these corals and theyre pretty bullet proof. If the 4 acros I now have do great, i may slowly replace the leathers with acros. Softies pose no challenge for me so there is much less sense of achievment here.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pulsing sinularia looks pretty full tonight. It's grown a lot in the past few months. I love it's color; metallic green base, deep purple stalks and bushy polyps. One of the more colorful leathers. My crappy camera phone doesn't do it justice.
20190312_200105.jpg

Also, my bright green purple tipped torch is growing quick too. I got it in a trade with a local coral farm with 2 heads, and I think now it has close to 20 heads in less than a year. Are these morphs rare? I don't see them often and my coral farm guy said he has only given it to 1 other guy from his collection. I have green with purple tip hammers and frogspawn, but this green is much more neon like a kryptonite candy cane. First pic is a little darker to show the purple tips. when I have the ISO turned up on manual mode, the green washes out the purplish bluish tips.
20190312_200525.jpg

Another showing legit green color:
20190302_093953.jpg

I need to get a good camera!

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going well. I removed the flame angel and donated him to my brother's classroom tank. I added a yellow tang and a one spot fox face and they and the kole tang are currently figuring out their pecking order. Thankfully the yellow tang and fox face did their part in QT so they are a DT duo now. The tank looks much more active with 2 more flashy swimmers in the tank. Will get an updated FTS soon. The wife and I are considering relocating to SW Florida next year, so I decided to not convert to SPS and just let the tank go nuts before I break it down and sell it. I don't want to move it so I'll sell the tank and start over.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time
That little survivor acro is growing quick. My phone washes it out, but its solid purple with bright, vibrant green tips. Much prettier than when in my old tank.

20190411_194212.jpg

Blue stag, started as a 1" single stick in December:
20190411_194230.jpg

And a FTS: moved some stuff and pulled some others
20190411_194931.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video update:

Mirror on one end is working to keep the Kole tang and Yellow tang from going at it. everything is looking good except 1 Zoa colony... who knows why.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro update:
These have been cooking on the rack for a while and are ready to be mounted. Green slimer, frogskin (bleached at first, but is coming back) and a forest fire digi that also came back from a small encrusting chunk. This camera is not capturing blue... the forest fire has a nice blue body with orange polyps
20190426_182428.jpg

This is tiny encrustion pieces that survived my move and blossomed. The smaller piece is not dead, just really light compared to the larger. See above for progress. This is another one that is not captured well on my camera. Its deep purple with bright yellow tips.
20190426_182540.jpg

And i moved some stuff around recently, so here's my new toadstool rock
20190426_182620.jpg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my first DSLR camera. Nikon D3500. I have no idea what i'm doing but grab a few shots that are better than my cell phone at least. The yellow tang is recovering from HLLE due to copper in the QT.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the best for last.
Great shots for not knowing what you are doing. LOL

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back