OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to swap from Acro dominated tank back to a softie/leather dominated tank. Acros are a struggle and with me traveling so much for work and pleasure, I'd like a less stressful tank. I also really miss the huge colonies and movement I had in this tank before.

So, the question is... do I continue this build thread or make a new one? I will be getting rid of 95% of my SPS, and I have some higher end leathers (lol) and rarer ones.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say continue this one. Same tank.

I am curious as to what softies you get and where from.

I have a terrible time finding any decent ones.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say continue this one. Same tank.

I am curious as to what softies you get and where from.

I have a terrible time finding any decent ones.
I have read good things about this site. Expensive for softies but they have some unusual and hard to find leathers which most places don't even carry at all anymore.

I ordered:
Pink Japanese Nepthea
Neon Kenya Tree
Pulsing Sinularia
Tracy Morgan gorg
neon Capnella tree
Joker toadstool.

I am thinking of ordering some more gorgonians from Reeftopia. Wild collected, but inexpensive and large sizes.

I have a giant colony of the neon green Sinularia I had before from my brother sitting in my frag tank, just waiting to glue it to the rocks.

I am getting some toadstools, long tentacle and green from a local reefer. Trading and selling my acros for leathers and maybe a few more torches.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read good things about this site. Expensive for softies but they have some unusual and hard to find leathers which most places don't even carry at all anymore.

I ordered:
Pink Japanese Nepthea
Neon Kenya Tree
Pulsing Sinularia
Tracy Morgan gorg
neon Capnella tree
Joker toadstool.

I am thinking of ordering some more gorgonians from Reeftopia. Wild collected, but inexpensive and large sizes.

I have a giant colony of the neon green Sinularia I had before from my brother sitting in my frag tank, just waiting to glue it to the rocks.

I am getting some toadstools, long tentacle and green from a local reefer. Trading and selling my acros for leathers and maybe a few more torches.

Thanks!

Plusing sinularia is high on my list of wants.

Gorgonians are too.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics yet, but all of the acros I am getting rid of should be gone by the end of today, and I will start gluing some of my new additions. Along with the 6 leathers posted above, I also obtained a hellfire torch, a NY knicks torch, a neon green cabbage, and just ordered a weeping white willow toadstool from Biota, along with a branching GSP, spaghetti nepthea.

On the fish front, I added a coral beauty and marine betta from biota, and have a forktail blenny coming with my recent coral order. I still want to add a yellow coris wrasse and maybe a flasher wrasse.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my acros that I’m selling are gone. 2 left that will be traded for some nice toadstools. All other acros are staying since they’re pretty hardy.

here’s a few updated shots. Can’t wait for these smaller frags to grow out!

E11B8B9F-549A-471A-844C-98EF5759AD5C.jpeg
A97EE660-71CD-4408-8F86-AC049E53E418.jpeg
B49F91D7-C7A9-490A-84F2-6B693B7F87B1.jpeg
43C0C5D9-E485-4DF1-92E0-57708057C0EC.jpeg

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better phone pics:
Japanese pink nepthea:
AAB31D13-488A-4313-B942-F67487D7586C.jpeg

Joker Toadstool from Marine Farmers. Unique in that it’s green everywhere except the polyps which are purple.
340196BE-1338-4C3A-A44D-5CA56924E5D3.jpeg

Hellfire Torch
B2162890-116F-493A-8275-5BB178588B05.jpeg

@WWC Toxic Aussie Slimmer that I’m keeping

7C8C1CA8-53E5-471B-9F5B-5DDDB96C5A2C.jpeg

WWC Terra Red which I’m keeping
1BECB3E4-6CF6-44BA-AA28-D302BE73DDC8.jpeg

Some Zoas that are starting to really grow, Pilachu and WWC AOIs are nice!
A7979ECB-ED95-48B5-8395-20B5F9951477.jpeg

My Ricordea garden may need trimmed. Some are migrating to sand
C5599420-37D5-4AA4-8250-2A4DEF244839.jpeg

Neon Kenya Tree
A12031CF-5CD4-449F-87D7-004E24500602.jpeg

I’ve also noticed my rock flower anemones have bred and I have babies all over. Last time they did this before I moved, only one made it thru the move and grew to an adult. Maybe I’ll get a better turnout this time.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ricordia garden is looking lush! Good luck with the rfas. From what I can see, some systems they reproduce almost like weeds and others less so. How many do you have?
I think I have 10 adults. I have counted over 30 babies about the size of a pea. Probably many more that I haven’t seen yet as well. Some with crazy colors that are not present in the adults. I have raised a single anemone from a past breeding event, but I moved my tank across the country so there was a lot of stress so I’m surprised the 1
survived! I feed a lot of different size foods so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to raise some and sell them to locals reefers.

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have 10 adults. I have counted over 30 babies about the size of a pea. Probably many more that I haven’t seen yet as well. Some with crazy colors that are not present in the adults. I have raised a single anemone from a past breeding event, but I moved my tank across the country so there was a lot of stress so I’m surprised the 1
survived! I feed a lot of different size foods so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to raise some and sell them to locals reefers.

Well, definitely let me know if you grow some out and sell. The softie tank is settling in and will get it's final aquascape in a couple weeks after I move some fish over to my main reef.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized my first post still has a FTS from over a year ago, so I will need to update that.

A couple quick updates, I am going to remove a large portion of the Zoas in my DT. I noticed several of the zoa types did much better when fragged and grown out in my frag tank than my DT. Not sure why, but I'm not looking to chase conditions to keep things happy... I'll chase corals that are happy with my conditions! So I am going to keep 2 rocks dedicated to Zoas, mostly the ones that are doing well in my DT and my favorites. I may keep a bunch of frags in my Frag Tank to keep them just in case I want to try them again in the future, but I may put a few frags here and there on the rock work to fill in space once things start to grow in.

I also went to the Island of Culebra Puerto Rico which has some relatively healthy reefs. There were a lot of huge, beautiful brain corals which inspired me to try some brain/LPS corals. I recently got a big shipment of LPS from WWC including several Platygyras and Favites corals to add some colors I lacking in the leathers.

I also had another order from them a couple of weeks ago which included their blue xenia, pulsing xenia (I don't care how invasive it is!) among some various others.

Most of my new additions since switching from Acros are really starting to grow. Even the acro's I am keeping are growing and looking better than ever. Maybe there is something to softies cleaning up the water. I did buy a big container of 0.8 ROX carbon to keep any chemical warefare at bay.

In sad news, my 7 yo male clownfish is in rough shape. When I got home from vacation, he had trouble maintaining buoyancy, and is currently being treated. I'm hoping its just an infection that will be cured with the API General Cure and Neoplex. Also treated the DT water for flukes just in case. He has pretty rapid breathing and swims vertical, nose down and slightly upside down. Hopefully he recovers, but I am not so confident.

All of this made me realize, I need to update some pics soon!

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photo, but the new iPhone 13 doesn’t do to bad without a filter.
FTS
IMG-3537.jpg

Remaining SPS garden
DABE618C-2459-4529-9981-6FBD048D4B9A.jpeg

Many of the Zoas I am keeping
4CE82290-E602-4C9E-A24B-C2D62AD4AF80.jpeg

Some of my new Favites from @WWC
82C95349-6DB8-4193-98D7-81A49CC52E55.jpeg

My monster Torch that needs trimmed. Pic doesn’t do it justice!
2F9BE980-0F03-42D1-B1FF-0DBE7CC932A0.jpeg
Left side closeup 6710E8CF-3F60-414B-9052-E53B74AC427D.jpeg

Right side closeup DA127B26-C88A-4774-AC8D-CF960D56DAFB.jpeg

242B6688-FB15-42BC-A0ED-CCD3DE4454C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why, but I'm not looking to chase conditions to keep things happy... I'll chase corals that are happy with my conditions!
Great statement!

I also had another order from them a couple of weeks ago which included their blue xenia, pulsing xenia (I don't care how invasive it is!) among some various others.
I love Cespitularia and Xenia. I haven’t any difficulty trimming mine back. They add so much interest and movement.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great statement!

I love Cespitularia and Xenia. I haven’t any difficulty trimming mine back. They add so much interest and movement.
Same, doesn't seem to be aggressive towards others, so I am hoping everything grows in thick before it starts to move around, that way it can fill in some dead spots to really make the reef look full.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back