NCJim’s Innovative Marine 75EXT journey

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought this would be me posting a thread like this but I have enjoyed so many of your tanks that I felt like sharing even if this is not as successful overall. Maybe someone will learn from this both the good and the bad.

TANK: Innovative Marine 75EXT. I wish I had space for the extra foot a 4 ft 120 offers but this was the compromise with the boss. Tank quality is excellent and I really like the aluminum stand.

LIGHTING: I have an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid with two actinic and two Coral+ bulbs. I know those choices will not be popular with the blue plus crowd but my wife and I both really do not like blue tanks especially in our living room next to the tv. The actinic is a very good spectrum for coralline I have read and I do like the extra wide spectrum. They are a bit dimmer but with the LED mixed in I am fine losing some par. The coral plus are a nice balanced whiter bulb that will allow me to run the BRS recommended spectrum for the LED’s which we like the look of.

LED: This was the tough choice. I was going to go with either 2 Radion XR15’s or two Kessils but in the end I went with 3 AI Prime 16HD’s. The performance of the Primes on a 12 x 12 in the BRS video convinced me that in a shallower tank like the IM, 3 of these with the T5 would give me good coverage, looks and Par. I also opted for the 3DReefing diffusers and have been very pleased with the slightly toned down disco and gentle shimmer. It’s a very nice look in our opinion.

Sump: Went with an Icecap reef sump 30. Very pleased overall with it. Big enough return chamber for my two Varios 2 return pumps, nice size middle chamber for a fuge and I added a Klir roller filter as well.

Aquascape: I opted for Marco rock and overall I’m alright with that decision. The pieces are huge so I had to break some and in the end I wish I had broken more down before cycling but it will be ok. It’s almost impossible to drill into at least for my drill even with masonry bits so I went the super glue route once I had it stacked in tank. Still a few more places I want to glue but overall it’s complete. When it’s covered in coralline algae you won’t be able to tell it’s not real rock so in that respect it’s very nice.

Still to come...
Pumps: I have 1 Tunze 6095 and will be getting a second soon and I am very happy with the pump. I also have two Sicce Xstream wave pump 2120’s on opposite sides along the back glass on the wave surfer controller.

Top: I will be getting a cover as well to stop the jumpers

Fish: I have two Davinci clowns in quarantine now that go in next week. Rest of the planned stock list is a fairy wrasse (Rhomboid hopefully) flasher wrasse (McCoskers) Tomini Tang. If I can find a few Randall’s damsels I would like to add those and possibly a mandarin down the road. My wife wants a Midas blenny so that may happen as well.

Debatables...

Bare bottom: I made the tough decision to go bare bottom and believe me I love sand so this was tough. I just felt this time around I would try something different and I like the ability to add a lot of flow for better SPS health. I lost the ability to add a number of my favorite fish so this was indeed a tough one.

No Skimmer: This one will probably raise some eyebrows but I just believe in today’s world with filter rollers, water changes, tunable refugium lights and awesome skimmer knowledge that not everything is necessary for success. Since I like the refugium personally and I was really excited to add a filter roller to not have to deal with socks I opted, at least for now, not to add a skimmer. PH has been 8.3 and DKH has been 8.7 and that’s obviously a baseline with no livestock or kalk/two part so I think with the fuge running opposite the main display I will be alright but time will tell.

Thanks for reading and I’ll try to update as I do things to the tank. I enjoy seeing all of your reefs and reading all the successes and failures of the community, NCJim.

82EA733A-48AB-4B67-A302-2F1EEAEF40B3.jpeg
852CE501-5218-4366-8FDA-5FAF97C24CB5.jpeg
A4C7D938-79C4-4E86-AF77-1AE3FBFD2DF3.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a concern for me as well. Some of the pieces that look solid are actually smaller pieces I glued together that have caves but I concede Marco rock is not ideal for creating a realistic environment. There is one huge cave on the right middle portion that breaks off in different directions. I wanted to drill some holes into some pieces as well but this stuff is like iron. A decade ago I gave away some of the most amazing Tonga and Fiji real ocean live rock for nothing when I broke my old tank down. What I would not give now to have it back. I never knew bans on that stuff would happen. Lemonade from lemons for me I suppose.

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a concern for me as well. Some of the pieces that look solid are actually smaller pieces I glued together that have caves but I concede Marco rock is not ideal for creating a realistic environment. There is one huge cave on the right middle portion that breaks off in different directions. I wanted to drill some holes into some pieces as well but this stuff is like iron. A decade ago I gave away some of the most amazing Tonga and Fiji real ocean live rock for nothing when I broke my old tank down. What I would not give now to have it back. I never knew bans on that stuff would happen. Lemonade from lemons for me I suppose.
Same. I have a nice piece from fiji thats been a tank herditidy for the 5+ owners of my tank. see it on my build thread if you want. Its both pieces.

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE....

A lot has happened in the last month!

The Good!

We decided as a family that we just did not care for the bare bottom look and added sand. The bare bottom was cycling very well aside from a slight white cloudiness to the water (which is still ever so slightly there) but in the end the visual appeal of the sand won out.

We added some corals! I will highlight a few of our favorites with some pictures later on in the post but we have a nice variety and no casualties so far which is nice.

Fish were also added. I had a pair of Divinci Clowns in Quarantine that were proactively treated with copper, Prazi and Formalin. Three weeks after the clowns were added we also put in a Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse and Rhomboid Wrasse both from Marine Collectors. All of the fish are doing very well and we could not be happier with them. We are ordering a Tomini Tang and possibly a Jawfish from Marine collectors as well in the next week.

Work In Progress...

As eluded to earlier the water has maintained a slight white cloudiness but it has gotten much better and I am staying the course for now. I continue to add Microbacter7 weekly after my water changes.

I am also still not sure exactly how I like the LED's to appear so I have been slowly making small adjustments to them. The T5's are rock stars, I could really see a difference in the corals behavior after my initial LED only lower par acclimation.

I also am having a drop in ALK without much calcium uptake so I abandoned the Kalkwasser for now and am just dosing sodium bicarb since PH is 8.4 and stable.

TLDR

Overall we are very happy with the additions and how everything is progressing. Taking things slow and trying to keep it all as simple and stable as possible. Looking forward to the next round of corals, some coralline growth and the eventual acro additions! Thanks for the R2R inspiration and for following along, NC Jim.

Pics to follow...

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE....

A lot has happened in the last month!

The Good!

We decided as a family that we just did not care for the bare bottom look and added sand. The bare bottom was cycling very well aside from a slight white cloudiness to the water (which is still ever so slightly there) but in the end the visual appeal of the sand won out.

We added some corals! I will highlight a few of our favorites with some pictures later on in the post but we have a nice variety and no casualties so far which is nice.

Fish were also added. I had a pair of Divinci Clowns in Quarantine that were proactively treated with copper, Prazi and Formalin. Three weeks after the clowns were added we also put in a Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse and Rhomboid Wrasse both from Marine Collectors. All of the fish are doing very well and we could not be happier with them. We are ordering a Tomini Tang and possibly a Jawfish from Marine collectors as well in the next week.

Work In Progress...

As eluded to earlier the water has maintained a slight white cloudiness but it has gotten much better and I am staying the course for now. I continue to add Microbacter7 weekly after my water changes.

I am also still not sure exactly how I like the LED's to appear so I have been slowly making small adjustments to them. The T5's are rock stars, I could really see a difference in the corals behavior after my initial LED only lower par acclimation.

I also am having a drop in ALK without much calcium uptake so I abandoned the Kalkwasser for now and am just dosing sodium bicarb since PH is 8.4 and stable.

TLDR

Overall we are very happy with the additions and how everything is progressing. Taking things slow and trying to keep it all as simple and stable as possible. Looking forward to the next round of corals, some coralline growth and the eventual acro additions! Thanks for the R2R inspiration and for following along, NC Jim.

Pics to follow...
Any updates?

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh Man did the house get busy! I do have a lot of updates and will try to stay short and sweet.

I am coming to what I believe is the tail end of the ugly stage.

Parameters have been in the following range for months. I am getting better at finding my system for maintenance:
Cal 400-420, Mag 1250-1300, PH 8.2-8.5, Alk 7.7-8.0

Sand:
We added the Carib Sea sand with live ocean bacteria and man oh man was it dirty. I am still cleaning the sump and sand weekly and just now getting to where I feel the dirt is starting to go away. The sand was also too varied in grain size so the powerheads are blowing it all over. Despite the fact that it can be destabilizing and time consuming I am swapping one cup of the carib sea sand out and one cup of Aragonite larger grain sand in each water change. So far I cannot see any difference in terms of water quality and the new sand does not move. Wish I had been smarter with this the first time but c'est la vie.

Skimmer:
I did in the end decide to add a skimmer (Tunze DOC 9012) in the sump and have been extremely pleased with it.

Casualties:
I have so far lost an Oregon Tort and 2 of my 20 zoanthid types. Everything else is doing well so far. I knew the Tort was dicey as the tank is so new but I got a good price on a nice piece and just decided to take a chance.

Lighting:
We had originally had two coral plus bulbs, 1 actinic and a blue plus but combined with the 3 ASI primes it was way way too blue. Over the last few months I have changed to 2 coral plus and 2 6500k bulbs with the bluer LED's and it looks much more neutral to our eyes.

Overall:
I am pretty happy even with my mistakes so far (I am sure there will be more.) I had Cyano and it is mostly gone with nothing more than consistent cleaning. No hair algae problems, pests or diseases problems so going well on that front as well. I think I am in a phase where the tank is settling in and I am just trying to stay consistent and ride the wave. Water changes, testing and staying clean are the goals, and this time pics are going to follow I promise LOL.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back