Need a fish trap.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still looking for a fish trap to catch the foxface rabbitfish who ate my zoa collection. Does anyone have one that I can borrow? I can't put in anything new till I catch it.

Sent from my overpriced iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Sent from my overpriced iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea that sounds dumb to many...but it works for me. Put a clear bag in (like the kind they put the fish in when you buy it-ask your lfs for one) attach a seaweed clip to the top so it floats, put some food in the bottom attached to a small rock or shell,or even another seaweed clip, and wait. That's it. I had caught a hippo, 2 clowns, a foxface and a sailfin this way- the yellow tang took longer. But it worked. Don't feed the tank- just feed in the bag- and it works. They will investigate, and begin to feed in the bag- then all you need to do is close the bag, the fish naturally swims downward- so you have a good amount of time to close the bag before it figures out your plan, lol. Good luck. :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew you still needed one I would have gave it to you the other day. Anyway you have my number, call me when you want to come get it.

OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'll let you know in about 3 weeks when I come back from leave. I definitely need to catch this guy.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of ways to spend lots of time catching that fish.

The quick way is to go to a fly-fishing store, pick up #3 string and hook and bait it with something like a mysis shrimp. Yes that hook is friggin' tiny, and no I am not kidding. ;-)

You may need to have a a few buckets around as you may "accidentally" catch some of your other fish before the Foxface if you aren't quick enough. BTW, the barb on the hook is infinitely tiny, but it could easily be filed off if it bothers you to use it.

BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING HIM OFF THE HOOK - or really no matter how you catch him. If he sticks you in self defense it will hurt like a m***a....or worse depending on your sensitivity to being stung.

Good luck!

-Matt

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back